PDA

View Full Version : Name change for Eee PC

Driftwood
29-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Asus Eee PC 701 on Linux.
Need to change the host name.
Have tryed several methods of google with no success.

Jen
29-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Did you try going System > Administration > Networking > General tab and changing it there?

Driftwood
29-08-2008, 05:33 PM
No, never seen Linix before, still finding my way round.

Jen
29-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Actually that may not be helpful. Those instructions were for Ubuntu, but I think the EeePC runs Xandros??

Have a look under Network in Xandros and you should find somewhere there to change the hostname.

Driftwood
29-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Yes this is xandros.
Do you mean from the network icon on the desktop or from somewhere in file manager?
As I said, I've never seen this os before.

Jen
29-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I haven't run Xandros for several years now so I am unfamiliar with the layout, but you should be able to find your way if you start in the Control Centre and then look for network options.

Failing that, I can always pop into the local DSE and have a looksie on their demo models. :p

mzee
29-08-2008, 09:08 PM
On the desktop, first Tab Internet, Icon Networks, Set up is almost the same as Windows.
Brilliant little computers. Comes with a very good handbook - Read it!

somebody
30-08-2008, 07:32 AM
I haven't run Xandros for several years now so I am unfamiliar with the layout, but you should be able to find your way if you start in the Control Centre and then look for network options.

Failing that, I can always pop into the local DSE and have a looksie on their demo models. :p

The problem is more to do with the "Easy Mode" which is default on the Eee PCs, which removes all the standard menus and what-not and replaces them with several "tabs" containing big icons.

Driftwood
30-08-2008, 12:29 PM
OK just getting back on to this.
MZEE your sugestion allows me to change the name of the connection.
I am trying to change the name of the computer when viewed from another on the same network.
And yes this has the "Easy Mode"

somebody
30-08-2008, 02:29 PM
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:changecomputername

Driftwood
30-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Thank you, thats exactly what I was after.

Just another couple of questions:
The standard antivirus that these have, is it any good?
Is CCleaner compatable with this OS?

somebody
30-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Thank you, thats exactly what I was after.

Just another couple of questions:
The standard antivirus that these have, is it any good?
Is CCleaner compatable with this OS?

The standard antivirus that these have, is it any good? - it's sufficient for normal use. It's not really necessary due to the Linux base on the OS.

Is CCleaner compatable with this OS? - no

Jen
30-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Is CCleaner compatable with this OS?As mentioned, it is not. There are plenty of equivalent Linux programs, but you actually don't need a "CCleaner". Linux does not have a registry nor does it leave a heap of temp files lying around. You can clean out your Firefox internet cache by using the option within Firefox (Edit > Preferences). There is no need to defrag the hard drive either, as the file system that Linux uses does not suffer from the same fragmentation problem that Window does. :)

Driftwood
30-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Thank you.