PDA

View Full Version : Multiple operating systems

chunder
29-08-2008, 11:20 AM
hi this is my first post(please excuse any noob questions)

i just got a second sata hdd the other day, but windows would not recognize it.... so i installed xp on the second hard drive, and it showed up...but i decided i didnt want xp on that hard drive(also my cd key is registered 4 the 1st hdd)
so i reformatted it. problem is... every time i boot up, im given the choice of two operating systems(the one one my first hdd and the one on my second)
problem is that my pc will automatically go to the operating system on the hdd i reformatted , hence an error saying that a essential file is missing.....
is there anyway i can make my pc boot straight to my original hhd?

somebody
29-08-2008, 11:24 AM
hi this is my first post(please excuse any noob questions)

i just got a second sata hdd the other day, but windows would not recognize it.... so i installed xp on the second hard drive, and it showed up...but i decided i didnt want xp on that hard drive(also my cd key is registered 4 the 1st hdd)
so i reformatted it. problem is... every time i boot up, im given the choice of two operating systems(the one one my first hdd and the one on my second)
problem is that my pc will automatically go to the operating system on the hdd i reformatted , hence an error saying that a essential file is missing.....
is there anyway i can make my pc boot straight to my original hhd?

Welcome to PressF1. When you successfully boot up, go into Start-Run. Type "msconfig" and hit enter.

You'll then see a tab marked "Boot", which you'll see the multiple operating systems. You can set the proper one as "Default", or delete the unwanted one. Be VERY CAREFUL here, as you could break things if you accidently delete the wrong thing - so I'd suggest you just set your desired OS as "default".

Agent_24
29-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Your new hard drive would not have shown up when you attached it because you needed to initialize, partition and format it in disk manager.

Either way, your current problem is easily solved by editing your C:\boot.ini file.

You'll see something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

But with 2 entiries for windows in your case (for your original one, and the one that you formatted)

You just need to remove the line for the one you don't want (the entries are in the same order that they appear on the boot selection screen). Then save the file, and reboot. Everything should work again.