PDA

View Full Version : Norton GoBack has locked up my PC

Grimy
28-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi,
Tonight when switching on the PC, before getting to the Windows screen, I get this message
Norton GoBack (122)
"Norton GoBack rebooted your computer because it detected your system was unstable. Allowing it to continue running would have caused corruption on disk #1.
This instability is probably the result of a bug in an application running on your system, but could also be caused by hardware problems.
Norton GoBack will now scan your disk to verify integrity of its data. When Windows loads, you should run ScanDisk (if it doesn't automatically run by itself). Code 0x13"
There is an "OK" box below that, but it doesn't work. I cannot get any further than this screen.
If I press F9 Xpress Recovery at start up I get the message "HD does not support HPA! Press any key to exit"
However, nothing happens.
I can get into the BIOS screen, but thats it.
Norton site says to go in and disable GoBack, but I can't get into it. I did a quick search (on the good old stand-by laptop) and found advice to copy the GB_PROG.EXE files onto a floppy anf try to boot from that. I have the GoBack disc, but I haven't looked to see if they are accessible from there? I'll have a look on the disc on my laptop in a minute.
But has anyone a fix for this?
Running XP Home SP3

Grimy
28-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Okay, I have GoBack on the laptop (probably not for much longer!) and have found GB_PROG in my programs folder. I will copy it to floppy tomorrow at work and see if I can get it to boot from that (from other peoples experience it seems to be a bit hit or miss).
Funnily enough I have just ordered a USB floppy drive, but haven't got it yet, or I'd be able to copy it from the laptop tonight.
Any other suggestions appreciated as always.
Graham.

wainuitech
28-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Try Booting from the XP CD, load in the recovery console:

If you dont know how - boot from the CD, Press R to repair windows, Select your Drive, normally 1, follow the prompts through, when you get to the administrator pass word, simply hit ENTER ( blank password) unless you have put one in the past.

Once at the recovery Console/ dos prompt type in chkdsk /r Press enter. Hopefully it will find and repair the system.

Once it's booted, dump norton, Goback like the rest of Norton products causes more problems than it fixes. - The fault with the system was prob Norton Goback failing / Corrupting.

Unless you had system restore turned off, Norton Goback and system restore fight one another, you cant have them both on. You'd be better off using the inbuilt windows system Restore.

IF by some chance you have NOT turned off Windows restore, see if you can boot into safe mode with command prompt, (keep tapping the F8 key, and select "Safe mode with Command prompt") if you can type in C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, then run the system back to before Norton went belly up - Remove goback.

Grimy
28-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi, I can't boot from the XP CD. I checked in the BIOS and it is set to boot from the CD first, but upon starting it runs through the page of PC info and then goes to the Go Back Error message screen. I burnt the Go Back files to a CD and tried, but that wont boot either. Will try the floppy tomorrow night.
I guess if all else fails I could buy another HD, install windows and then try to attach the present HD to see if I could do something that way?

Speedy Gonzales
28-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Did you press a key when it says to press a key

Grimy
28-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Yes, it says boot from CD/DVD: Press any key to boot from CD:
No matter what I do after a few seconds it goes to the Error Message.

Agent_24
29-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Tried Memtest?

Grimy
29-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I copied the GoBack program files onto a floppy, set the BIOS to boot from the floppy, but it came up with the message "Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready."
So I can't boot from a floppy or CD, can't get into anyrhing other than BIOS menu.
I have removed and reseated RAM and HD connections with no difference.
Next step, a new HD, load Windows and see if I can get into the drive as a slave?

wainuitech
29-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Why A New HD ? cant you slave to the current PC you are using / on now to access the Forums ?

Edited: or are you using a Laptop ?

What would be a lot cheaper is download ultimate boot cd 4 Windows (http://www.ubcd4win.com/), make the Bootable CD and see if you can boot from that, ( its free) the program has lots of useful repair options, i "should" boot even in the HD's system files are damaged.

Grimy
29-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Yep, on a laptop. Will try ultimate boot CD and let you know how I get on. Thanks.

wainuitech
29-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Heres what to try with UBCD - ( posted this before some place in the forums)

You can try to run system restore from the CD, Boot from the CD ( takes a few minutes), when the Start Shell log in appears either click Start Shell, or leave it alone and it will auto boot.
When network Support appears click No

Once loaded, click Start/Programs/Registry Tools/Registry Restore Wizard ( Press Enter)

Make sure your OS is selected - it should be C:\windows (Enter)

Make Sure “Fix the System To that of a Previous State” is dotted, (press enter) select a restore point from the list / dates - follow the on screen instructions. graphical of Above path (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/UBCD.jpg)

Grimy
30-08-2008, 01:55 AM
Thanks WT. I downloaded and burnt a UBCD4Win disc and it booted up okay. However at the Welcome (Options) screen) where it has Boot from C Drive, Boot from UBCD4Win, etc there is an option called Norton GoBack Removal Tool. That's the one I want to highlight and enter (later on in the boot process it tells me that GoBack is on the system and I need to reboot and select that option to remove GoBack so I can access the PC's files).
Problem is, I can't move the highlighted line down to that option, and after the timer counts down to zero, the boot process continues. The arrow keys or mouse don't move the highlighted line. I guess I'm missing something simple?
With GoBack on, the C drive doesn't show up and when following your advise when you get to "Make sure your OS is selected - it should be C:\windows (Enter)" the only option is custom. If I type in C:\windows , says it is not a valid directory.
I think if I can get to highlight the GoBack Removal Tool at the options screen, things will start to happen.

Grimy
30-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I've tried another keyboard. Still nothing.
And I tried the CD in my laptop and I can navigate the options menu no problem with the arrow keys.
Could it be a setting in the BIOS?

wainuitech
30-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Just tried it again - I downloaded a trial version of System Works:eek: and installed it on an image i quickly loaded (sorry computer for installing Nortons :) ) - tried several of the options on the UBCD, about the only thing that worked with that heap of rubbish (goback) installed was this - on boot up from the CD, scrolled down to the bottom option, load windows recovery console, it went through the processes and located the Operating system - Drive H: at the command prompt, after telling it to change to drive H: , it managed to run chkdsk /p

That may be enough to get it working to a point of allowing either UBCD to disable Nortons, or by pressing the space Bar on startup to stop Goback from launching ???

IF you dont have any keyboard control with UBCD on start up, are you using a USB keyboard, and has it been enabled in the BIOS ?

Try going into the BIOS reset it to default, and check if the keyboard is enabled.

Grimy
30-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi WT, Once again I thank you for going above and beyond the call of duty.
I was using a USB keyboard, so had a hunt around and found a USB/PS2 adapter and that solved the problem on the options screen. I scrolled down to the GB removal tool and it "unhooked" GoBack. It then continued to boot to UBCD4Win and removed the GB history from the HD. I could then see the C drive (huge relief, I was backed up to a few days ago, but wasn't looking forward to a reinstall).
Took the CD out and rebooted and everything was back to normal. Just had to remove GB completely through add/remove programs.
Thanks for all your help. The UBCD4Win was brilliant. I had actually downloaded it ages ago (onto the PC that died), but hadn't built a disc as I thought it was all too hard. But really, apart from a problem with the AV (that was sorted through the UBCD4Win forum quickly) it was pretty easy.
Something that annoys me is that in searching the internet last night I found that Symantec had released a registry cleaner file download because of the conflicts between their products and the XP SP3 update. I had registered my copy of GB with them, I don't think it would have hurt for a blanket email to registered users that there was a possible problem and that they had a fix available for download. Thanks again. You're tops:punk

wainuitech
30-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Phew - :clap OK now go to here (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039), download the Norton Removal tool, select the year of your product, or as I do get the 2008 or Norton 360 removal and run that.

It will clean out the remainder of the Norton Entries as well as ANY other Norton product installed since the add/remove leaves entries in the reg and a couple of other places.

Gotta Love the wording on their site:
Use the Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product.

Then finally - write out 100 times -

I will not use Norton products again :lol:

Grimy
30-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I find it ironic that GoBack, the programme that has saved my butt so many times in the past, was the one that finally really screwed my PC up!
(or more correctly, Symantec, not handling a situation they could have sorted easily...).:mad: