PDA

View Full Version : Overheating or Faulty Card?? Please Help...

Izoomonu
17-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Heyyah...

I had my system working alrightish a while ago... but recently it has started playing up and freezing again.

I was wondering if this freezing, mainly in games, had something to do with overheating in the system.

I would be able to get some pictures of the type of freezing if you want them, and system specs and HiJackThis logs etc

The freezing happens around 10-20 minutes into a game, and it either crashes to desktop, or hangs and then comes back for a few seconds in really distorted colours.

Is there anyway i can change the tempratures within the system, or do something, to try to stop this from happening... thanks in advance :D

Izoomonu
17-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Or is it perhaps a power supply or radiation issue... seeing i live really close to west aucklands main radio tower

feersumendjinn
17-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Sounds to me like your video-card/vram is overheating/dying ( or motherboard ram is playing up if is integrated/on-board video), some more details/pix would be handy.
Is the video card fan clean/spinning?
Could also be a power supply unit or even a motherboard problem :eek: (not radiation tho ;)).

Izoomonu
17-08-2008, 11:07 AM
okay.... ill try take some pics of it.... umm yeah.. it says its spinning at like 1000+ rpm.. which seems right....

ill get you my specs soon

Izoomonu
17-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Windows Xp Pro
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHz
2GB Ram
GeForce Nvidia 8800GTS

umm... if theres anything else you need ill get that too

Izoomonu
17-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh its a gigabyte mobo... but im not sure what type... seeing it says its a plug and play i thinkk

Battleneter2
17-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Problem could be a large number of things, only solved by a logical process of elimination.

I would start with downloading ATI tool and using the artifact tester for 20 mins to see if there is a problem with your GPU (can be used on Nvidia cards also).

I would then run a memory test with Memtest86, reason- most higher end games will near max 2gig+ of physical ram, a memory error may not show up by just using Windows itself and the machine may appear stable outside of games.

These are two things you can do without swapping out hardware and will near eliminate two high suspects.