PDA

View Full Version : Asus Eee 701 notebook

mzee
15-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Has anyone had experience with the Asus Eee 701 computers?

Tried both the XP & Linux versions in a store. XP was very sluggish but Linix Ok.
Very small screen was not too bad with reading glasses.
I like the idea of solid state drive, less likely to be damaged & no fan to make a noise or get blocked.

somebody
15-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I've had one since late December last year, and love it. I'm currently running Windows XP, and it's actually quite good - certainly not "fast", but not sluggish as far as I'm concerned. I can comfortably run applications like Firefox, Office 2k7, and so on, and it is fairly responsive.

I primarily use it for checking emails, some web browsing, and minor touchups of documents while on the road. It serves that purpose very well, however it doesn't replace my main laptop/PC.

Downsides: Keyboard is too small to type on for any reasonable length of time, and takes some getting used to. Screen is large enough for most of what I do, but would be much more usable if it was larger.

Pros: Very compact, and lightweight, making it easy to carry around. Cheap (I bought mine overseas and paid around $450 for it). Durable - you can practically knock it off a desk, and it'll be fine. I also like the matte plastic finish, because it's very resilient to fingerprints, scratches and so on.

Also, be aware that there is a small fan in it, though in my experience when it does turn on, it's very quiet. Currently, I've ripped the webcam out of mine (since I don't use it), and have modded it with a 2gb USB flash drive for extra storage. Overall I've found it to be a fantastic machine, and does its job perfectly.

If you're contemplating buying one, I'd suggest you look at the newer EeePC 901 or Acer Aspire One, both with larger screens (and the Acer has quite a nice keyboard on it too). These newer models are a bit more expensive though.

mzee
18-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for that! I agree with you.
I bought a 4G 701 on Friday with Linux. The Linux was good but I prefer Windows software.
I installed a cut down version of Windows XP pro. Works very well. Use a 4G Thumb drive.
The small screen is very clear and scrolling on the Browser was was solved by installing Fire Fox 3 which zooms to fit.

I have been using it for Web work all day (with a monitor) with no problems. The silence is great. I suffer from ringing in the ears, and a computer humming seems to make it worse. I paid $487 for it, also got a USB keyboard and a USB DVD drive.

The Windows drivers come with the CD & they also tell you how to remove surplus files from the system.

somebody
18-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Great to hear you're enjoying your Eee.

Chilling_Silence
18-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I definitely enjoyed my 700 Eee!

Have moved to a 901 due to the screen size (I use it for web design), but happily used the 700 for around 9 months with no worries :)

I found it was worthwhile getting an 8GB SD-Card (Set you back around $55), meant I could keep some music / video files / documents / games :)

Be sure to check eeeuser.com out, the Wiki / Forums are particularly useful.

Hope you enjoy your EeePC as much as I have! :D

jaffa77
19-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Do you have to buy a copy of XP if you want to install it? Thanks

drcspy
19-08-2008, 11:15 PM
the eepc comes with either a stripped down xp or linux already installed

somebody
20-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Do you have to buy a copy of XP if you want to install it? Thanks

Yes. In my case, my previous employer had an agreement with Microsoft that all eligible staff would have access to free licences for a number of Microsoft products for non-commercial and personal use.