PDA

View Full Version : What would cause this?

Tukapa
14-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi

I have just installed a new PC for a friend and recommended they go to Xnet. They took me up on that but only wanted to pay for the Stream plan (256 down/128 up).

I set up a wireless network and their connection shows as excellent with all four signal strength bars lighting up green.

They got hold of me and said their broadband speed was pitiful and I presumed their kids had got hold of the system and "optimised" it as teenagers are want to do.

I went round tonight and did a speed check (with Xnets own speedtest) and got a result of 55kbps down/133kbps up and browsing was just like dial-up as would be expected.

Is this to be expected on this stream plan or should they be consistently hitting the 256k speed?

If anyone has any suggestions about afix I'm all ears. The Xnet help desk was shut by the time I went round so will try ringing them tomorrow.

Thanks.

Sherman
14-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Should definately be faster than that...
You might want to have a look at their line stats in their ADSL modem to see how fast it is syncing to the exchange.

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Its probably the wireless config, or maybe a firewall

Altho, I'm not on the stream plan, so dont know how fast its meant to be

Is the main PC faster than the others?

Myth
15-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Seeing as how this is their first time on broadband, its hard to have a 'standard' for that particular house. Could be anything from distance to the nearest exchange, dodgy filters, dodgy line maybe, to what Speedy suggested (firewall, wireless config)

Do your mates know of any neighbours with broadband... if so ask them what kind of speed they get in relation to what speeds they should be getting.

How secure is the wireless setup? Unlikely, but someone may be tapping into their router and getting freebies

Agent_24
15-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Check the line speed in the router first, if that's good then suspect the wireless

PPp
15-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm a newish Xnet user and have been keeping a eye on speeds and they just seem to be getting faster over the last 6-8 weeks!

Tukapa
29-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Check the line speed in the router first, if that's good then suspect the wireless

When I log into the router these are some of the figures I get:

Downstream rate 64kbps
Upstream rate 160kbps
Downstream margin 13db
Upstream margin 25db
Downstream Line Attenuation 45db
Upstream Line Attenuation 13db

I see the downstream rate is limited to 64kbps so my speedtests have pretty much been right on the money. What would be causing the downstream rate to be limited to 64kbps? I've looked but can't find anything.

Could it possibly be a physical line problem ie get a technician to come and check out the wiring - or is taht a waste of time?

Cheers

SolMiester
29-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Okay stupid question.....you have checked for all other devices connected to jacks havent you....as that speed is either crippled by another device plugged into a jack or xnet have demoted their speed down to dial-up for busting their data cap!

lakewoodlady
29-08-2008, 10:01 AM
With a down speed rate of 64kbps I would suspect the data cap has been exceeded and if it is at that speed consistently, that is the exact speed that WxC has in place for going over. They will tell you that.
Perhaps someone is piggy backing the connection from outside if the wireless is not secured.

Agent_24
29-08-2008, 10:19 AM
With a down speed rate of 64kbps I would suspect the data cap has been exceeded and if it is at that speed consistently, that is the exact speed that WxC has in place for going over. They will tell you that.
Perhaps someone is piggy backing the connection from outside if the wireless is not secured.

Could be, or it could just be a useless line. In any case, when I used to have a cap, my connection speed wasn't lowered, but my downloads were (obviously at xtra's end)

Check the data usage online, then try unplugging everything except for the router

Tukapa
29-08-2008, 09:35 PM
They have only used 21% of their data cap.

Will get someone to come look at the line and check that and will also try unplugging everything from phone points and see if that makes any difference.

It's really got me stumped at the moment!

Agent_24
29-08-2008, 11:31 PM
sounds like there is something wrong with the equipment somewhere