PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network problem

Tarras
13-08-2008, 08:36 AM
I have two desktop computers (one using XP2 and the other Win98) which were connected on a wired network using a Dynalink RTA1335 DSL modem/router. This setup worked perfectly.

I recently bought an Acer laptop with Vista Home Basic and both a wireless and a wired network connection. I connected it by cable to a spare port on my router and it happily connected to the Internet but I had no end of trouble trying to share files with the desktops.

I only managed to copy files from the XP desktop to the laptop but was refused access from the XP desktop to the laptop files. As the Win98 desktop is only used for running legacy hardware I did not try it.

I then bought a Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway (Model WAG200G) to enable me to use the laptop anywhere in the house. I set up the two desktops by cable to the new router without any trouble but while the laptop connects to the Internet wirelessly it stubbornly refuses to allow any file sharing.

When I try to access the laptop from the XP desktop I get the following message: -
“\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.”

On the Laptop Network discovery and File sharing are "on". Network discovery can’t “discover” the wired desktops.

I have enabled file sharing for the Laptop C drive

I have tried turning off the Windows firewall on the Laptop with no noticeable effect.

I live in a rural location and can’t afford to get a technician to come and sort the problem out.

Can anyone advise how to set up file sharing between the laptop and the desktops?

wainuitech
13-08-2008, 08:59 AM
This topic has been coveredseveral times in the forum - BUT 1st make sure all pc's are on the same workgroup.

To Change the workgroup in Vista - One way--- Right click on Computer/ Properties -- On the right about half way down is Change Settings, click that, look for the Change button, in the box titled Workgroup, make sure its the same as whats on the other PC's. Click OK and you will need to reboot.

To share a folder in Vista its a two stage process - download This PDF File (http://dl1u.savefile.com/c8e5aae34b77780fcbf1bed35dcc4bb0/Sharing_in_Vista.pdf) - its one I give to my customers on how to do it.

There are some programs about, ones called Network Magic (http://www.networkmagic.com/) - but thats the cheats way - the reason for saying that is if anything goes wrong and it sometimes does in networks, then you wont know how to fix it. Doing it manually you learn new skills.

drcspy
13-08-2008, 12:45 PM
is the xp pc sp2 or sp3 ?

it can make a difference