PDA

View Full Version : All downloads seem corrupt!

Adrain
12-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi there!
Just recently my computer was in desperate need of a spring clean. So as I'd had it for a couple of years, and all the 'advise' seemed that after a couple of years of my type of usage, it most likely needs a complete overhaul, I decided to grab the cat by the tail and swing!
I gathered all my install CDs, did a backup of all my data then did a completely fresh install of Windows XP MCE, including formatting the drive. Then installed (physically and driver wise) all the other bits one by one. As new I thought!
However, at first I thought a few corrupted downloads was just a pain. But now it seems that every download (program wise) seems corrupted.
Latest in point was 'Driver Genius'. I downloaded it (actually thinking I had a driver problem and it may help) scanned it to make sure it wasn't riddled with viruses, and tried to install it. It came up with a "corrupted file" thing. So I downloaded three more times and they were ALL corrupted files.
I'm no genius my self (hence my question here) but is this maybe something to do with 'checksums'? Or something more insidious?
Any pointers please!
Regards,
Me

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Nvidia firewall isnt installed is it??

This is what this can do / and will do (corrupt files)

SolMiester
12-08-2008, 10:04 AM
^+1

Adrain
12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think I installed Nvidia firewall when given the option as I use ZoneAlarm. Oh, and before you say thre is an issue with ZoneAlarm, I am fairly sure it is not that. May just download the latest version though!
Had a quick check in add/remove and could see other Nvidia stuff, but not the firewall. Should I be checking else where? :D

SolMiester, er, guess you were implying that "^" the above "+1" is the problem!?

:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Is NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager in add/remove programs?

If it is thats Nvidia firewall

This I think gets installed with the drivers. And if you dont select a custom install (if you can), it'll install

SolMiester
12-08-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't think I installed Nvidia firewall when given the option as I use ZoneAlarm. Oh, and before you say thre is an issue with ZoneAlarm, I am fairly sure it is not that. May just download the latest version though!
Had a quick check in add/remove and could see other Nvidia stuff, but not the firewall. Should I be checking else where? :D

SolMiester, er, guess you were implying that "^" the above "+1" is the problem!?

:thanks

Yup!

wratterus
12-08-2008, 12:46 PM
The Nvidia Firewall is a b*tch. :badpc:

I had so many issues with it last time I installed it, I learned the hard way NOT to install it EVER under ANY circumstances.

Get rid of it. :)

Sweep
12-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I would be inclined to do a memory test as well for peace of mind. I assume you are getting this message when extracting downloaded files. Does this include self extracting .exe's?

It does have to do with checksums which is how it has been determined that the file is corrupt.

If you are on dial up then there may be line noise on your connection causing bits to be lost during transmission.

Adrain
11-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Many appologies for the delay!
All is now well! I have done as instructed and the issues is delt with!
Again, sorry for the delay in case others were wondering if this worked!
Regards
:thumbs:

porkster
12-10-2008, 08:22 AM
You're not connected to xnet are you?
For the past few days and even this morning I've had problems downloading files without corruption.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2008, 08:42 AM
You would have been lucky to get overseas with Xnet this morning, let alone download anything from overseas.

All sites kept timing out

This would have been around 6.30 tho. Earlier was fine