PDA

View Full Version : Computer freezes for long periods

toprob
10-08-2008, 09:57 PM
This is a bit of a long shot, I know, but someone might have an idea...
I have an old PC which has been playing up lately, and I intend to upgrade as soon as I have some spare cash.

However just lately it's developed another issue -- I hear one single 'click' from the inards, and a few seconds later the computer will freeze for a minute or two, come right for a few seconds, then continue this same cycle until I restart.
Since nothing responds when it is frozen, I don't even get an updated display in Task Manager, but when it comes right for a few seconds there is a 100% 'spike' in CPU usage, which suggests that the CPU is flat out during the 'blackout'. (no CPU usage registers during the blackout, though.)

Since I have no idea what is causing this, I really want to know if it may be a hard drive, since I want to keep these for the new PC:)

jwil1
10-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Have you tried changing out memory?

What processes do you have running in the background?

Does the clock change during that period? Does it happen 'on schedule' (ie after a uniform amount of time?)

Could be the HD though, because of the click. I have one here that clicks every now and again - a Maxtor drive. Works fine (doesn't freeze up) and I haven't had a prob with it. Just clicks every hour or so :)

toprob
10-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Have you tried changing out memory?

Good point, I have some spare somewhere, I might try it, but this is a very random happening -- normally just once or twice a week for the last couple of week, but 3 times tonight:(

What processes do you have running in the background?

Nothing unusual -- nothing shows up in Task Manager as a CPU hog, but this may just because it isn't giving TM the chance to update.

Does the clock change during that period? Does it happen 'on schedule' (ie after a uniform amount of time?)

Nothing updates. Happens randomly and rarely -- until now...
Normally when CPU/RAM is working hard.

Could be the HD though, because of the click. I have one here that clicks every now and again - a Maxtor drive. Works fine (doesn't freeze up) and I haven't had a prob with it. Just clicks every hour or so :)

toprob
12-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks, jwil1, swapping memory seems to have done the trick!