PDA

View Full Version : Best quality blank DVD

jwil1
10-08-2008, 09:56 PM
We are getting underway in transferring our old VHS tapes onto DVD.

But the question is - which brand of blank DVD+/-R is the best for long term storage?

I have done a pilot run with a DSE brand DVD+R disc and it seemed to go well - using footage recorded to the HD.

Obviously DSE is out of the question when it comes to long term storage but which brand should I get? Imation, Mitsubishi, Sony, TDK - ??? And +R or -R??

Need about 80 discs.

TIA

PPp
10-08-2008, 10:35 PM
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

autechre
11-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Taiyo Yuden's (http://www.blankcd.co.nz/dvd%2Br-taiyoyuden.htm) are widely regarded as the best quality. Not sure where else they are available from in NZ, the ones on Trademe are the same shop & usually more expensive.

Trev
11-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Why put VHS onto DVD. I have thought about doing it but probibly won't. I have tapes I recorded in 1982/83 and are still pretty good. No one yet knows how long the material on DVDs that you burn to well last.
:)

PaulD
11-08-2008, 10:38 AM
How much longer do you expect your VHS player to last? As well as head cleaning there are bits that need oiling and greasing every so often. The place I took my player to closed down about 8 years ago.

utopian201
11-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Verbatim discs are quite good. Made by Mitsubishi Chemicals (media code will start with MCC). They are about 80-90% of the quality of Taiyo Yuden's, but are significantly cheaper, especially if you get them by the spindles.

The quality of your burn will also depend on your burner. Based on reviews I've read, Benq, Pioneer, Asus (I think, if they are rebranded Pioneer) and NEC are quite good. I have an NEC.

Trev
11-08-2008, 11:37 AM
How much longer do you expect your VHS player to last? As well as head cleaning there are bits that need oiling and greasing every so often. The place I took my player to closed down about 8 years ago.
It well last for awhile as I don't use it. Have a DVD/HD recorder. Yes I'm well aware of what you said but couldn't be bothered mentioning it.

paulw
11-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Taiyo Yuden's (http://www.blankcd.co.nz/dvd%2Br-taiyoyuden.htm) are widely regarded as the best quality. Not sure where else they are available from in NZ, the ones on Trademe are the same shop & usually more expensive.

TY can be bought from here.. Not cheap though..
http://www.blankcd.co.nz/dvd-r-taiyoyuden.htm

Verbatim would be my next choice..

Tukapa
11-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Verbatim

R.M.
11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
TDK from The Warehouse... :)

Trev
11-08-2008, 09:16 PM
TDK from The Warehouse... :)
No Transonic from the Warehouse. :lol:

kenj
12-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Normally buy from BlankCD but have purchased the last couple of spindles from Bond & Bond on special.

Verbatim DVD-R at $12.95 for 25.

Always use Verbatim. I record a lot of doco's and stuff that I just don't have time to watch from Sky. Ready for when I am old and doddery and not much good for anything else. SWMBO says I should start watching them now. After a comment like that, should I give her a light whipping? Whith a weighted feather duster of course!!

Ken

R.M.
12-08-2008, 08:14 AM
No Transonic from the Warehouse. :lol:

TDK shows up on the list as per reply number 2 - which one is Transonic? Is it on that list too? I must have missed something.:crying

Trev
12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
TDK shows up on the list as per reply number 2 - which one is Transonic? Is it on that list too? I must have missed something.:crying
???? :lol: I was just being a smart arse.
I bought a 25 disc spindle of Verbatim DVD + R from Noel Lemmings about a month ago for $19-95.

PaulD
12-08-2008, 09:01 AM
TDK shows up on the list as per reply number 2

Only if the disks have the media id shown on that list. If The Warehouse are selling TDK, I'd bet that the TDK are from one of TDK's cheaper sources.

I use Verbatim but also try DSE from time to time. DSE can be made from various manufacturers some OK

utopian201
12-08-2008, 10:19 AM
+R and -R will also have different quality depending on your burner. I think my burner prefers +R based on other people's experiences I have read.

powerover
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
TDK all the way...:thumbs:

R.M.
12-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Only if the disks have the media id shown on that list. If The Warehouse are selling TDK, I'd bet that the TDK are from one of TDK's cheaper sources.

I use Verbatim but also try DSE from time to time. DSE can be made from various manufacturers some OK

I checked a TDK from the Warehouse and found it is a 'TTH02' one - you'll see that is on the list of top quality ones. At least, that's what is says!

panther2
12-08-2008, 06:58 PM
verbatim 16x dvd-r no coasters so far writing at 16x

Agent_24
13-08-2008, 12:01 PM
In any case, DVD+R/W is the better format:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW

peterdb
18-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Try |Verbatim Archival Grade - not available in all stores though.

peterdb
18-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Try Verbatim Archival Grade. Supposed to be good for long term storage. I am using these but have only short term experience so far.