PDA

View Full Version : Win2k and 3D Games

15-05-2001, 08:06 PM
Hi Have just installed win2k and cannot play openGL games like q2 & halflife. I have downloaded the latest patches and video card drivers. I have look over the net have some chatgroups say u can play them but u have to edit your registry. I don't want to do this.
Other than going back to win98 , does anyone else have a solution. I like win2k it feels more stable.

thks

16-05-2001, 09:47 AM
Hi Andrew,
yes, these games should run without any bother on W2K. If a game complains about not having win 9x, or NT4, but you are confident it should go, then try running the 'apcompat' util from the Start->Run prompt. If it's not installed I believe it is on the Win2K CD somwhere. Can you test your 3D graphics with the 'dxdiag' util? If you can then your games should run. Have you got your desktop colour depth set to 16Bit or higher before starting the game? Do you have drivers for your motherboard? -these can be as important as the video drivers. Service pack 1 and 2 are out for W2K also.
Have fun!!

16-05-2001, 01:15 PM
I take that you have not installed Win2k drivers for your card from whoever your card is made by, the drivers that win2k has, have no no form of Opengl support at all.