PDA

View Full Version : Reformatting hdd

MPG
09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Guys

This is the continuing story of my attempt to 'repair' my daughter's computer. Decided to bite the bullet, reformat and reinstall. The hdd is 120 Gb with 2 partitions of equal size.

Decided to solve my problem concerning the lack of an MS Office disc with a replacement disc. Travel across town to see the people that built the PC. They said that was OK as I had purchased a genuine copy and I had the id and key. At the same time I asked if I could have a copy of XP Home with SP3 slipstreamed (wanted to save hrs of downloading). No probs! They gave me a copy of XP Sp2 and another disc with Sp3 on it.

So far so good. Changed the boot order on the offending machine to boot from the DVD first. Rebooted, but although the DVD drive starts up and runs for some time, the machine continues to boot from the hdd. Guess what? Yip, it locks up. Same problem as before!

Not to be beaten, I tried firing the machine up in safe mode and then puting the CD in the drive. That looked as if it worked. By the way, I am following the instructions given on ehow.com. I get as far as a blue screen that allows me to select a partition, then select what action I want to take. Tried to delete the C partition (as per instructions) by pressing the "D" button. However, I get an error message that says:

Unable to perform the requested operation. This partition contains temporary files that are required to complete the installation.

Maybe it is not possible to reformat while in safe mode? :help:

Ehere to from here? :thanks
Michael

gary67
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Put the DVD in the drive then restart the machine otherwise it will start the hard drive if it detects no disk in the machine. Then follow the prompts and allow it to overwrite the existing copy of windows when it asks

MPG
09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Doh!!! Thanks Gary

I was misreading a message and hitting "F4" instead of "Enter". That explains why it was continuing to boot up using the hdd.

Now I have got to a blue screen with the 3 options: format NTFS (Quick), format NTFS and leave current file system intact. I presume that I want the second option?? What is the difference between the 1st & 2nd options?

Have to duck out for a while but I shall return. Feels like I am now making some progress. Thanks.

Michael

pctek
09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't. Format it and do a fresh install.

MPG
09-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Guys

This is getting frustrating. Pctek - what you are suggesting is exactly what I was trying to do i.e. reformat and reinstall. Faced with 3 options I didn't know which option to take. Plumped for the 2nd option (Format partition using NTFS) and hey presto - error message saying it can't be done (see 1st message)

To back up for a moment - the instructions I am following say that when I get a screen showing all drives & partitions (in this case C & D), I should highlight the C partition and press the "D" key. Doing that causes the problem stated above i.e. will not let me do that.

Now what???? Thanks for your help.
Michael

feersumendjinn
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Maybe these instructions are clearer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896529/en-us
perhaps you are doing this

Option 1: Delete existing partitions
a. Use the arrow keys to select the first partition you want to delete, and then press D.
b. Press ENTER to confirm that you want to delete this partition, and then press L.
c. Repeat these steps for all other partitions you want to delete.
d. Now you can create new partitions.
when you should be doing this

Option 3: Reformat an existing partition for the Windows installation
a. Use the arrow keys to select the partition in which you want to install Windows, and then press ENTER.

Note The Setup Wizard suggests formatting the partition with the FAT32 file system or the NTFS file system. The best option is usually Format the partition using the NTFS file system.
b. Use the arrow keys to select a file system option.
c. Press F to start formatting.
Dont forget to install some antivirusware and turn on windows firewall before connecting it to the 'net, and then downloading the motherboard and other hardware drivers (if you haven't got them already).