PDA

View Full Version : 4870

Robbie W
09-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Seeing that this graphics card had a glowing report in the latest Mag,perhaps someone can give a pointer regarding the temperature's of this card 77deg c idling.
Expected or should we install some better cooling.If it was tested as the reporter stated were these high temperature's observed?

Point of this post should I be worried??

stormdragon
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
What card exactly is the card there a heaps of different 4870's with different cooling?

What have you got in the way of a case and airflow?

Robbie W
09-08-2008, 10:39 PM
I do not think it matters what make as searching the overclockers forums all these cards run around the high 70's but some seem to think the cards will stand the temps others that they should be cooled down .As I say just looking for opinions here.

Fan seems to keep it around 77/80deg c can just hear the fan speed up when it hits 81c got GPU-Z running on the other monitor so I can watch temp.

Agent_24
10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Cooler is always better but video cards normally do run hotter than other things, they also can handle hotter temps too.

You should be worried when the card starts locking up, artefacting, etc but if it's not doing that and it's the same temp that everyone else's is - then it sounds normal to me

SolMiester
11-08-2008, 12:37 PM
The trouble with ATI cards, is that hardly any of the OEM manufacturers bother with better cooling solutions.....and lets face if, ATI have struggled with every cooling solution they made since the x1800 series.....

I believe most ATI card holders now use ATI tools to configure a profile to increase the fan speed from the get go!

SPARTAN 860
11-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I would rather go for Nvidia stuff, but then, I have always been anti ATI (now AMD).