PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall OS when hard drive is dead

Tukapa
09-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi all

I have a mates PC here - it's a horrible NEC Powermate box from Bond & Bond.

The hard drive is dead - completely. Doesn't even spin when powered up anymore. Have tried it as a slave and nothing - nada - zip.

The OS is Windows Media Centre 2005 and it has the COA attached to the case. Of course, as is normal with these sorts of horrible machines, it had a recovery partition, never written to disc, and is now unavailable due to drives untimely death.

I do happen to have Windows Media Centre 2005 CD's but of course the COA on the case won't work with these OEM install discs I have. It gives the invalid key error message when I try.

Anyone know of any simple work arounds?

Thanks in advance.

jwil1
09-08-2008, 12:09 AM
You'll need a new hard disk.

Call up MS or NEC and ask for a replacement disc/disc set, quoting the product key.

Tukapa
09-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I have a nice shiny new IDE hard disk. It is formatted and I am at the stage where I have to enter the license key which is the stage it all turns to custard.

I could always try ringing their support number on Monday. Their website is crap.

Cheers.

gary67
09-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Why wait till Monday it works 24/7, you get the first available MS helpdesk employee world wide

Tukapa
09-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Was referring to the NEC helpline which I thought should be my first port of call.

Perhaps I will try M$oft first then.

Cheers.

Driftwood
09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm curious, if the hard drive is dead, what were you trying to install the OS on.

stormdragon
09-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm curious, if the hard drive is dead, what were you trying to install the OS on.

I have a nice shiny new IDE hard disk.

:thumbs:

Driftwood
09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Sorry diddn't see that one.

I had to reserect a Media Center Edition System last week, if you look back through my threads you will see how I sorted it. Yours should be easier to sort out as you do have the correct OS.