PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet card probem...

password
08-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey, my pc glitched out the other day, and when i gave it the old re-boot the onboard Ethernet port could not be found.... (cold not use internet..)

I looked at Device manager and it only has the 1394 Net Adapter (firewire) port and no Ethernet port!!

Anyone heard of a problem like this?

I have:

winfast 6100 motherboard
Amd Athlon Dual Core CPU

Any help :thanks

william

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
You didnt reinstall Windows did you??

password
08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Nope all i did was re boot the computer and it was gone!!!

Im thinking would a BIOS update fix it up?

CYaBro
08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Have you checked the BIOS to make sure it is still enabled?

Driftwood
08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
What was the "glitch" you had?

wainuitech
08-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Had this happen a few times - Might not be your problem, but in the ones I had the Ethernet port had failed, and a PCI card was installed to get a port working again.

One way to test it is boot from a Linux live CD, if the port is working then the live CD will pick it up and you will have internet / LAN access.

If it does work on a live CD then there's a software problem someplace.

password
08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks, i will try.

Ummmm it just froze and i restarted it =?

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I had a similar prob but with the firewire card I've got in this.

The entry for it didnt disappear, but last week it kept on showing code 10.

Even tho its been in this for the last 3-4+ yrs. So, I checked it pulled it out, to make sure it was in properly.

I just kept deleting it in device manager, and rebooting, then in the end ticked the option in network connections to show its icon in the taskbar.

So I know its there / its been detected.

And its been fine since

BUt I've read that if you do have firewire and a NIC, sometimes one or the other can play up

Agent_24
08-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Check that it's still enabled in the BIOS, if it is maybe try disabling it, restarting, and then re-enabling it again. try a live linux CD of some sort too, that should probably work

password
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
It works!!!!

I did almost that!!

I entered into the Bios and it said it was set to fail safe defaults after it errored.

I set it to optimum settigns and bAM!!! It works..
I big thanks to all you guys that helped (i love this forum)

I will document all that has be said here so if anything else happens i can troubleshoot it all =)

thanks,

WIlliam

Agent_24
08-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Good to see you got it working

feersumendjinn
08-08-2008, 09:27 PM
For that to happen (losing your bios settings on a reboot), it's usually caused by your Cmos battery going flat (is your clock showing the wrong time/date?), chances are if you reboot again you'll have the ethernet problem again; replace the battery (usually a CR2032 watch battery, $3-$6).

password
08-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Sweet, thanks, i will have a look when im in town =)