PDA

View Full Version : Telecom broadband offer

tut
07-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I decided to take up Telecoms offer of a trial broad band to see if it might be worthwhile.
I got the Modem and an installation CD.
Whatever they do at the exchange will be done tonight (Thursday) at 6pm.
I decided to run the CD to get a heads up on what was going to be required and it went through a set up check ok until it came to 'Microsoft Java Installed'
Thats is far as it goes. There is a tick beside the soft ware that keeps flashing and a small circle at the bottom of the page going round and round but thats it.
Both my laptop and desktop do the same.
I am thinking I will have to phone the help line but in the past have had bad experiences with help lines and wonder if any members here can offer any help before I call them.
I did have trouble installing Java on both machines earlier but it seems to be there as several games I play require it and they work fine.
I am not computer savvy, what am I missing.

pctek
07-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Telecom is the worst ISP you could have chosen.
They are too expensive.
Their helpdesk (in Manila) is staffed by idiots.

And you don't need their CD. Use ethernet to connect to the modem.
Start - Run, type cmd

Now type ipconfig - the Gateway is your modems IP address.
Type that into your browser.

Default login/password = admin/admin.
Run Quick Setup, leave everything default, enter your username and password for the net, and save and reboot.

Thats it.

CYaBro
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Thats it.

Not quite. Will need to configure email account in whatever program as well.

tut
07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks pctec. I chose telecom because I am on Xtra dial up and only wanted to see how broadband worked in this area. My intention was to cancel before the month was out and go for one of the more recommended ISP's as dicussed often on the forum.

Now I did what you said, found a gateway IP address. Typed it in my browser, (IE, no comments please) and it comes up page not available both in my laptop and desktop, (Different address's)

If you know nothing about the operation of a computer it is hard to resist the temptation to throw the whole bloody lot out the window in frustration.

OK I have settled down. Any more advice?
Appreciate your time on this so many thanks.

stormdragon
07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Try inputting 192.168.1.1, 10.1.1.1, 192.168.0.1 those a normally the default IP address for routers.

Safari
07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Default Gateway is the IP you want.
Have you got your modem connected and turned on.

bevy121
07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
My Default Gateway in ipconfig says 118.92.132.64 - which is the same as my IP address there

But my modem is 192.168.1.2 - which is not in ipconfig at all

bevy121
07-08-2008, 05:16 PM
If it's a D-Link it will most probably be 10.1.1.1

If it's a Thompson - try 192.168.1.254

mzee
07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I changed my land line and Broadband to Vodafone and it has been excellent.
1. For the first time in 2 years the phone has been clear.
2. get 20gigs Broadband for the same cost as 5 gigs from Telecom.
3. All NZ calls at a flat rate of $40 month, no tolls.
4. Overseas calls at 25cts minute.
5. Broadband is faster and has no latency
6. Email excellent, up to 10 addresses allowed.

I have not had to use the Help desk for anything technical, only accounts.

tut
07-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Argh.
All the previous mail has been through the dial up connection.
I have tried all the ISP's listed in the replies but all say 'page not available'
I have now connected the modem supplied, a Thompson.
It has four steady green lights. What does this mean?
Power, green. Thats ok
Ethernet,green
USB, off
DSL,green
Internet, green
I was hoping the CD supplied would explain this.
I cant connect to anything with it. Have to use dial up.
I get the feeling I am doing something wrong but known not what.
Maybe to some one the problem is simple. I need very basic instructions Im sorry.

sam m
07-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Did you go through the CD set up successfully? There would have been a stage where you would have to enter your current username and password. Doing this would have created a adsl username to give you access.

tut
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
sam m, when I ran the CD it stopped when checking if java installed. I am sure it is but I think that is where the problem is.
One of the ISP addresses above (192.168.1.254) gets me to the modem page but I am at a loss as to what to do with that.
From that page I did come up with a user name (user@xtrabb.co.nz) and a password in asterisks.

sam m
07-08-2008, 08:17 PM
sam m, when I ran the CD it stopped when checking if java installed. I am sure it is but I think that is where the problem is.
One of the ISP addresses above (192.168.1.254) gets me to the modem page but I am at a loss as to what to do with that.
From that page I did come up with a user name (user@xtrabb.co.nz) and a password in asterisks.

I would suggest ringing the helpdesk. If you cant go thru set up then you wont be able to create the adsl username which should look something like username.xadsl@xtra.co.nz - if you ring helpdesk they can manually create this for you then when entered into modem should give you access.

tut
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeh might have to. As I said earlier xtra's help desk hasnt been for me. It will be the last resort especially if it is in Manila or India.

Many thanks for the help. Any more is welcome I like to learn.

Tut

sam m
07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
If the issue is Java why not uninstal then download and install latest version. Speedy's signature has a link to it but downloading that on dial up would be painful - bite the bullet and make the call. Being stuck on dial up when broadband is available is like riding a pushbike in the rain when there is a car available.

PaulD
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I would suggest ringing the helpdesk. If you cant go thru set up then you wont be able to create the adsl username which should look something like username.xadsl@xtra.co.nz - if you ring helpdesk they can manually create this for you then when entered into modem should give you access.

If tut already has Xtra dialup the "username" part and password should be the same.

sam m
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
If tut already has Xtra dialup the "username" part and password should be the same.

Yes it is the same but tut either needs to use the cd to connect to xtra to create the adsl equivalent or ring them to get it done manually. Once created the cd automatically changes the userbb name to his own, but if he rings he just manually changes it and he's done.

mzee
08-08-2008, 01:07 PM
dialupusername.xadsl@xtra.co.nz

PENTIUM
08-08-2008, 04:59 PM
The Xtra help desk will talk you through the installation and it will take about 15 minutes. Dial 0800 22 55 98 ask to speak to a person when the automatic machiine kicks in. There is no easier way in my experience.

tut
08-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I have taken in all the advice and here is an update.
I contacted Telecom and found the reason the CD stops is because of my virus protection which is Avast. Dont know why it affects the recognition of Java but Java is OK on the computer.Now we find that there is no driver for the ethernet card.
I am currently learning about drivers and searching for the one required. This Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1150 and I recently reinstalled the OS (WinXP Home)
The learning curve is rising too steeply for an oldie like me. LOL

gary67
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Have a look here (http://driverscollection.com/?H=Inspiron%201150&By=Dell) might be here somewhere or try here (http://www.download.com/Device-Drivers/2001-2014_4-0.html?hhTest=1)

feersumendjinn
08-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Or even Here (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_1150&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid).
I would hazard a guess it's this (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R86360&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_1150&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2966&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=5&fileid=113177) one, but would pay to do a search for your drivers (network esp) with your laptops service tag number (underneath/on the bottom) on the Dell site, to make sure you get the right one/s for your unit.

PENTIUM
08-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Xtra are pushing their virus protection product. I use Avast and Java.
You can bypass the Java C D glitch. Xtra can do a manual install talk through for you, I have done a number of these for friends. If Xtra gave you a case number try them again, you can quote me if you like, and say you have a Registered Engineers report.

gary67
09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Yes I have found the Xtra CD does not always work and have had to resort to calling them when helping friends out

tut
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
They actually told me they had problems with the CD.
Anyway I went to my bach where there is a desk top computer.
using info from forum members and help from Telecom (0h Yes really) I am now sitting here reading this on broadband. Wow, what a difference.
I will worry about the laptop later.

Many thanks to all, this is a great community