PDA

View Full Version : Got me stumped at the moment

wainuitech
06-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok Techie people here's the problem, got a customers PC, had just about every Internet security program on the planet installed.

Was full of spyware - removed all security programs, run on another PC as a slave, removed every infection I can find. Done a repair install, chkdsk etc.

BUT every time I try to install ANY program all I get is doesn't matter what it is

Internal Error - Failed to get version Numbers of _shfoldr.dll

Tried doing a google search :groan: about as useless as t*ts on a bull.

Any one had this before - I don't really want to do a full install not with over 200 Gb of data :crying

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Try using the utilities menu in trojan remover. See if that'll restore things

That shfoldr.dll looks like it belongs to the shell folder service.

Only thing is its not on here

That error is here (http://www.audacityteam.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5624)

Must have been an outdated version of the program

An update of the Windows installer might help?

wainuitech
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah mate - Saw that Audacity ( thanks) - its never been on the PC - or no sign of it - I've spent most of the afternoon trying to nut this out.

Tried the Trojan remover earlier when trying and clean the PC- same error message.

That's when I put the drive as a slave and cleaned it - but still no joy even after that.

The same error message appears on ANY program that I try to run - even tried in safe mode :groan:

Its a pain in the butt - its running fine apart from I cant install anything.

Edited: its XP SP2 - tried on a ghost of the drive by doing a repair install of XP SP2 - no good, so I re did it with XP SP3.--- nope.

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Are all of the programs the latest versions not old versions?

What if you clean the temp files / folders with ccleaner ??

Or go to C:\Documents and settings\user\Local Settings\Temp delete everything there

linw
06-08-2008, 09:12 PM
http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewtopic.php?p=51247

Did you see the above one?

wainuitech
06-08-2008, 09:22 PM
All programs trying to install are latest that I use every day.

The Ccleaner that is installed is version 1.40 - that was already installed some time ago so it works OK.

I'll have a look tomorrow and see if there's anything left in the temp files after that was run earlier today.
I have a feeling its something to do with all the different antivirus programs this guy had on it.

Just a thought :2cents: - Audacity is not installed, it may have been removed by owner - maybe he didn't remove it correctly, I may try installing it and see if it wants to play nice.

To late tonight but I'll do a reg search for it as well before hand - the owner of the PC is one of these people that " knows all about Computers" :rolleyes:

Edited: To linw - yes thanks, I did read that as well, only problem is there is no security programs on the PC currently - it did have :groan: McAfee INS, Norton INS, Zone Alarm Security, Avast and AVG >> no Bull>> how the hell it even ran is beyond me.

linw
06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
You're right - how the hell did it run at all???

The error file is probably some malformed relic left behind "somewhere".

Maybe it is still quicker to copy the 200GB to an ext drive and format the drive! Maybe a good wash in soap and hot water would be good too!!

I have just bought a 640GB ext so it has plenty of space as of now!

This is going to be a hard one for the bottom line:mad:

Happy hunting!

wainuitech
06-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Maybe a good wash in soap and hot water would be good too!! :D Dont even joke about that. The removable side & front of the case were so covered in gunk, it was actually sticky to touch - there were drink cans - rubbish all around it :yuck: I had to blow every thing out with compressed air and wipe the case with spray and wipe on a cloth before working with it.

Once I removed all the security it suddenly was a LOT faster - gee wonder why:)

A complete format and reinstall may be the best answer - but I'll look tomorrow. I'll advice whats happened. If you hear of a Computer Tech going :waughh: in wgtn - Thats me :lol:

jwil1
06-08-2008, 10:01 PM
How dusty/gunky was it inside lol?

Have you tried reinstalling and then uninstalling Audacity in case it crashed during the uninstall??

wainuitech
06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
How dusty/gunky was it inside lol?

Have you tried reinstalling and then uninstalling Audacity in case it crashed during the uninstall?? Typical fans / intakes and vents full of crap.

Tomorrows first attempt to fix will be reinstall Audacity, BUT at first look, it is not there, but I'll do a reg search as if it was its bound to have left some trace.

stu161204
06-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Have you tried searching for "_shfoldr.dll"???

also have you check windows for missing files with the "sfc /scannow" command?

apsattv
07-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Use sysinternals Filemon tool to see what is going on.

wainuitech
07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Okay found the problem and programs are now installing as they should - even after slaving the antimalware programs (in my sig) are going nuts finding infections.

The culprit was our old friend Zonealarm - even though It had been uninstalled, it must have gotten damaged by the array of other security programs, I tried the Audacity suggestion - wouldn't install, tried to reinstall ZA and it went in, removed again and alls well.

Just another reason for me to hate ZA esp their security package. :mad:

Thanks for any of the suggestions.

TonyF
07-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Well done Wainuitech....
Cheers Tony

Cicero
07-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't know a lot,but I know to avoid Zone Alarm.