PDA

View Full Version : bad bios checksum

pauliej1
06-08-2008, 03:05 PM
bad bios check sum I put the cd in that came with the mother board (ASUS K8V-X chip set VIAK8T800 socket 754) It erased then it wrote then it said shut down and restart to bring system back I did it and nothing just kept on displaying bad bios check sum look in floppy dr drive not found looking in rom drive drive not found i also pulled the battery out and put it back in and pulled chip out and put it back in I tried to download bios update from asus and still nothing I'm banking on the chip being bad little help over here anybody

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Go into the BIOS and set it to its default settings, then reconfigure it. (You should do this AFTER you flash a BIOS).

And / or replace the CMOS battery. It maybe flat.

Graham L
06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

Does it say something like "bios checksum error" or is it "bios ROM checksum error".

What is the EXACT error message? If it's complaining about a ROM checksum error it's serious. If it's just a bios checksum error it will succumb to Speedy's approach.

pauliej1
07-08-2008, 04:05 AM
bios checksum error is being displayed

pauliej1
07-08-2008, 05:23 AM
also checked battery 3.25 volts

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Do what I posted in post #2

pauliej1
08-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I can't even get into the bios I tried everything my keyborad won't work mouse won't work the cd rom tray opens and closes and the power button works thats adout it I want to order a new chip but the asus site is so tied up I can get on the home page but thats about it do you guys have a web site in mind were I can order a bios chip

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
You DONT need a new BIOS chip. Replace the battery, its on the motherboard

Agent_24
08-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Why replace battery? 3.25v sounds healthy to me...

So what happens when you turn the PC on. Can you write down the exact message that appears on screen? or even take a photo if you can...

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Why not, it'll probably be cheaper, than trying to find out where or how to replace the BIOS.

If the BIOS was stuffed, it would be dead as a dodo

pauliej1
08-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I did repace the battery still the same message "bad bios checksum" then it looks in the a:drive and then it looks cd rom it keeps repeating it self check drive a checking cd rom drive till I put the cd in that came with the motherboard then it starts to write to the new bios after its done it tells me to turn computer off and restart to bring system back when I do it starts the process all over again bad bios checksum yada.yada.yada

pauliej1
08-08-2008, 03:21 PM
But the more I think about it I know the battery is good and bios can be written to the problem is when I restart everything is wiped out most of the time it is the batttery but I think I had a power spike and it must of surge the motherboard some how

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Did you go into the BIOS AFTER you replaced the battery, and reconfigure the settings, then save them?

There is no need to put the mobo cd in all the time. Since, if you updated to the latest BIOS, it'll flash it back to the old / original BIOS

Change the bootdisk to c the hdd, thats probably why its looking for a.

And make sure whatever ide connection the hdd is on (if its IDE) that the setting is on AUTO. So it detects it

And everytime you reflash the BIOS with the mobo cd, you're probably not reconfiguring the BIOS after.

And saving the settings

Which is probably why, nothing is working properly

pauliej1
14-08-2008, 02:16 PM
cant get into bios as soon as I turn the computer on it goes to the bad bios screen no splash/logo screen no post test no mouse no keyboard nothing

Agent_24
14-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Why not, it'll probably be cheaper, than trying to find out where or how to replace the BIOS.

If the BIOS was stuffed, it would be dead as a dodo

The BIOS obviously is stuffed. That's why it comes up with the bootblock recovery (Asus call it CrashfreeBIOS) every time it gets turned on, and why it's searching for floppy and CD for a new file to flash to the chip

pauliej1, I take it you're getting a message like this when you turn the PC on?:

Bad BIOS Checksum. Starting BIOS recovery...
Checking for floppy...
Floppy not found!
Checking for CD-ROM...
CD-ROM found.
Reading file "K8VX.ROM". Completed.
Start flashing...

And then you restart and it does it all over again?

Have you tried using the latest BIOS file instead of the one on the motherboard CD?

if not, then try this:

1) download this file: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v-x/K8vx1012.zip

2) extract the file K8VX1012.ROM from inside the zip file

3) rename it to K8VX.ROM and put it either on a floppy disc or burn it to a CD.

4) Start the PC and put the floppy or CD in the drive, and let it do the recover - hopefully it may work!