PDA

View Full Version : SEGina.dll -> Winlogon.exe : Problem

WarNox
06-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey,

I've spend the last few hours trying to research this problem and nothing, so decided I'll try you guys :)

The problem is when a computer sits on the log on screen it will enter a blue screen (complaining about windows logon) and then restart itself, every 11min 8sec (approx).

Blue screen information:

{Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process System process...
The system has been shut down.

Things I've tried:
-Repairing WindowsXP
-Virus/AdAware/Spyware/Registry scans in Safe Mode
-sfc scan thing

When I log on as an administrator I get the typical windows pop-up screen saying windows has encountered an error, complaining about 'winlogon.exe'.

I've looked at the logs with 'eventvwr.msc' and found that whenever the computer restarts, every 11min or so I get a log error saying "application failure ... In SEGina.dll".

I cannot associate that stupid DLL with anything but it somehow relates itself to winlogon.exe. If I delete/move SEGina.dll the computer will only boot into safe mode.

Hope someone can help, this is driving me crazy...

Thanks,

Gregor

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Well SEgina.dll isn't part of XP. Well, its not on this

The only thing you can try is, remove the hdd and put it in a working computer.

Then scan it with a virus scanner

Is msgina.dll on the hdd?

SolMiester
06-08-2008, 01:59 PM
*gina.dll as far as I know is to do with login, it is usually msgina.dll,, which is presumably why you are crashing.....why it is renamed I dont know, maybe some connectivity software which is installed changed the name?!

Is the pc part of a domain?.....

Try re service pack the pc from safe mode.

WarNox
06-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes msgina.dll is on the PC.

All together there is 4 **gina.dll's in the WINDOWS\system32 folder.

The computers are on a domain but no file has been pushed out to them or anything. I manage them and have recently updated some software but got no idea what has created this issue.

SolMiester
06-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Did you install synchroneyes?.....

http://www2.smarttech.com/kbdoc/93490

WarNox
06-08-2008, 10:26 PM
SynchronEyes is installed on the computers, yes. But it was installed some time before they started issuing this problem.

May I ask, how did you find that PDF?

I'll try uninstalling SynchronEyes on one PC and see if that fixes the problem, because that PDF doesn't say how to DEACTIVATE SEGina.dll.

If all else fails I will call their customer support.

Thanks for your help!!!!

WarNox
08-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Ok well thanks to your post SolMiester I managed to fix it :)

Synchroneyes has an option to disable CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it uses that SEGina.dll to do it. Once I disabled that option the computer is fixed! I can also remove the .dll and the computer start up normally, meaning it is no longer being used!

Thanks a lot!!!!

Gregor