PDA

View Full Version : Removing firewall

MPG
06-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi Guys

This is part of a continuing saga but I thought I would deal with this issue separately. Problem - how to remove NVIDIA firewall? The machine will only boot in safe mode. I haven't found a polite way to remove the programme as "Add/Remove" says it can't be done in safe mode. Any good alternatives?:thanks

Michael

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 12:38 PM
You should have added this in your previous thread

I think this firewall is part of the motherboard / its hardware based.

Check the BIOS for the Nvidia firewall option as well

Is there an entry in add/remove program called NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager ??

If there is uninstall it

MPG
06-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Hi Speedy

The information was given in the previous thread :D As there were no responses I decided to start a new thread covering just 1 issue.

I will check the bios later - presently busy doing other things.

Yes, there is an entry "NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager" in "Add/Remove". You say uninstall it. I have tried that and it doesn't work. That is why I aksed for suggestions. How do I remove it?

Thanks for your advice.
Michael

SolMiester
06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
If you have already installed it, i think you have to use a browser to configure it, or disable it.....not sure as I only installed it once. Are you on NF3 or 4 chipset.

Try this link for info

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13307179

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 03:39 PM
See if theres an option in the BIOS disable it first if its there.

Then uninstalling that entry might work

MPG
06-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Guys

SM - don't know what the chipset is. I am even confused as to what the board is. The box and manual say NF4UK8AA (and I think that is correct) but Belarc reports it as NF-CK804. So????

Speedy - Nothing I can see in the bios about NV firewall. I note that Belarc reports NVIDIA Firewall v1.0.0.1 & NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager v1.0.1.0 (I presume that these are what we are trying to get rid of). I also note that these are mentioned in the HJT log (posted in previous thread.) However, When I look in programmes, I can't see them anywhere. I think they were there previously before I attempted to remove them with "Add/Remove". Have they been removed????

I also note that Belarc is reporting Norton IS v2005. Checking through the manual I see that the firewall, NAM and NIS come on a DVD. I suspect that these were installed when the PC was built. Since then it has been in to a PC shop in another city and they have had a play with it. I am fairly certain that PCillin and ZA programmes have been put on it at some stage. These last 2 don't seem to be on the machine any longer - at least I cannot see anything although there must be some remnants of NIS somewhere as Belarc is reporting it.

Considering the sequence of events, I remain to be convinced that any of this has anything to do with why the machine locks up on a normal boot.

Still keen to know what my next step should be.
Michael

SolMiester
06-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Sounds to me that you have too many A/V and firewalls operating.....Your chipset is NF4, did you check the link I gave you, their is no program, the firewall settings are controlled through your Internet explorer browser.....

Uninstall ZA, PCillian programs, also NIS...jeez, overkill going on there....Never have more than 1 A/V and 1 firewall program......The firewall cant be disabled in the BIOS, it is either uninstall or open the ports via the browser. If you are still having problems, check out the Nvidia forums...

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Well since u cant remove Nvidia firewire uninstall Comodo. See if it makes any diff

SolMiester
06-08-2008, 05:31 PM
He has comodo on there as well?....LMAO!

SolMiester
06-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Double post!!

MPG
06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Right Speedy, will try that. However, please note that I downloaded Comodo and put it on the machine. The freezing problem occurred well before I did that. I only installed Comodo because I couldn't see (at least I didn't recognise) any firewall installed.

Michael

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Right then, I wouldnt be surprised if Nvidia firewall is the prob then

MPG
06-08-2008, 05:44 PM
SM - Yes, I did check the link. I was simply confused by all the info.

Just to clarify, this is my daughter's machine -she lives in a different city. She has given it to me to try and clean it up and get it working for her after 1 or more people in PN have had a crack at it. The only programmes I have installed on it are the ones recommended on this forum - NOT ZA, PCillin, NIS. I think ZA & PCillin have gone - at least I see no sign of them. Not sure about NIS but I suspect some remnants remain burried somewhere as Belarc continues to report it.

I will check whether I can turn off the NV firewall through IE.

Thanks for your interest. I will check the Nvidia forums tomorrow.
Michael

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 06:14 PM
If its been freezing since windows / the chipset drivers were installed NV firewall will definitely be the prob

Since, I think it gets installed with the drivers.

MPG
06-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Speedy - have uninstalled Comodo and rebooted. Back to where I was several days ago. Works OK in safe mode but won't work when booted normally. It is something late in the bootup that is causing the problem. The mouse and MS key work up until the hdd stops. Then it is locked solid.

SM - have checked through IE and can't see any opportunity to change settings for the firewal. I must be missing something here.

Let me say again, I am not conviced that the firewall has anything to do with the problem I am trying to solve. I could be wrong - has happened before! The reason I am sceptical is that as far as I know the machine has worked OK for some time with the NVIDIA firewall installed. It went phut much more recently after someone has had a play with it. I am afraid I simply don't know what the circumstances were round the crash.

Me thinks it is time to phone my daughter and see if she can add anything useful by way of info.

Thanks again.
Michael

gary67
06-08-2008, 07:33 PM
If Belarc won't tell you the missing info try this SIW (http://www.gtopala.com/) it's a bit more comprehensive about giving more info I think.

PPp
06-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm wondering if there are stray entries in the Registry that are clagging things up? I use Easycleaner its quite conservitave and does an automatic backup if things turn (even more) pear shaped. This has helped me cure curly problems in the past.

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Easycleaner can also screw things up.

ie: Help and support somehow, according to some sites

ccleaner would be better

MPG
07-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Guys

Spoke to daughter last evening. She tells me that at least 2 PC techs have 'fixed' her PC in recent times. They were the people who chose to make changes in security programmes. That is how it came to have NIS, ZA, PCillin on it at various times. I only installed Comodo when I couldn't see any sign of a firewall (didn't know about NVIDIA). Comodo has now been removed.

Speedy - I understand that NVIDIA was installed right at the start. It hasn't been locking up until very recently. I don't think that NVIDIA is the problem. It wouldn't surprise me, however, if there is a clash with other security software or their remnants.

She tells me that the machine was operating OK for quite some time - no new software installed. The freezing problem arose when ex tried to set her up with an internet connection/e-mail account. Don't know what he tried (has done so successfully before). Hasn't been able to boot the machine since that time.

My suspicion is that the registry might be knackered. Is it time to have a go with ccleaner? Have installed the programme and allowed it to analyze. Geez, it wants to do a lot! Makes me nervous. Should I just let it loose or should I be conservative? If the latter, what should I be looking for? Haven't used thgramme before.

Thanks to all for your help.
Michael

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Well I would reformat / reinstall windows, and choose custom install for the chip set drivers, and untick nvidia firewall. If it gives u the option

Or you'll be there all year trying to figure out why its freezing / having probs

MPG
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks Speedy. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that far but I have spent way too much time on it so far. I guess it's time to bite the bullet.

Thanks for your assistance.
Michael

SolMiester
07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
MPG, you are quite right, NV firewall wouldnt cause the freezing...that could well be other issues....How were the programs removed, using the add remove icon in control panel?....

When the NV firewall was installed, it should have given you access to configure it thru a shortcut to a favourite address held in IE......nevermind....I think its probably best to format the pc and re-install the programs you need.

MPG
08-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Hopefully the end is near :rolleyes:

I am about to embark on reformatting but I am new to this. Thought I should check what I should do after the reformat.

1. Reinstall XP Home

2. Install security software (Comodo, Avast) - intend adding malware software later???

3. Download latest updates for XP

4. Install nForce driver package - reject option for installing NVIDIA firewall and ForceWare Netwrok Access Manager. Is there anything else from this disc I should install e.g. USB 2.0 driver, DirectX 9.0b, Adobe reader? Presumably I also need to install the ATI & Dynalink drivers? Should this be done here or between steps 2 & 3?

5. Install other software - Nero, Astra (Umax), Brother drivers, PhotoDelux

6. I wil have a problem with reinstalling MS Office. Can't find the disk! It was the 2003 version S & T. I have the licence number and key (from Belarc). I have at least 2 versions of Office myself (1 desktop + laptop). As they are not the same versions I suspect they won't work. Any suggestions?

:thanks
Michael

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2008, 10:46 AM
You dont need the USB 2 drivers since XP SP1+ installs them

DirectX is now 9.0c. The XP install may install c.

Dont worry about Adobe reader, it installs too much crap.

If you want a PDF reader, install Foxit reader, its free (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php)

Install XP, the chipset drivers, LAN, sound card drivers, then the programs

You shouldnt need Dynalink drivers (Unless its USB, if youre talking about a adsl modem/router - connected by ethernet cable, it shouldn't need drivers).

To install the ATI drivers, net framework 2 MUST be installed, or it wont install / or wont work properly

MPG
08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks Speedy

Looks like a weekend job.
Michael