PDA

View Full Version : Are LCD Monitor extended warranties worth it?

utopian201
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
For those of you who have LCD monitors, what goes wrong with them when they -do- fail?

Or is it more of a case of LCD monitors either come with faults right from the start/within 90 days (eg dead/bright pixels) otherwise they are fine?

CYaBro
05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
If you buy a good brand LCD monitor, like ViewSonic, they have a 3 year bright pixel warranty as standard.

wratterus
05-08-2008, 01:10 PM
If you buy a good brand LCD monitor, like ViewSonic, they have a 3 year bright pixel warranty as standard.

x2

Any monitor that has a short warranty probably has a crap pixel warranty as well.

Backlights don't go very often, and normally sooner rather than later.

pctek
05-08-2008, 01:20 PM
All decent ones have a 3 yr onsite warranty.

utopian201
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I was thinking more like the Dell monitors; 3 years as standard, but can be extended to 4 or 5 years.

Do pixels eventually 'die'? Or do they not wear out (that is, the only pixels which are going to be dead are the ones from the factory)

Trev
05-08-2008, 03:09 PM
You are covered by the CGA.
:)

robbyp
05-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I was thinking more like the Dell monitors; 3 years as standard, but can be extended to 4 or 5 years.

Do pixels eventually 'die'? Or do they not wear out (that is, the only pixels which are going to be dead are the ones from the factory)

I don't think pixels just die, however if there is an electrical fault with it, I have heard of clusters of dead pixels occuring. My LCD is 5-6 years old, and doesn't have any dead pixels, although it cost about $3000 at the time. It has however failed, because the LCD layers are delaminating on one edge, but I suppose 6 years old is a good life. I am looking at the dells to replace it with, but don't think it is worth paying an extra $50 for 2 more years of warrenty.

pctek
05-08-2008, 04:30 PM

But Dell don't make monitors. They re-badge them.
They may be Phillips, BenQ, Anything..............

So why not buy one you are sure of instead of taking pot luck.

utopian201
05-08-2008, 06:08 PM
The particular Dell I am interested in (2408wfp) uses a Samsung panel. It is similar to the Samsung 245T, but significantly cheaper, especially when Dell have their discounts.

I'm only interested in the Dell because when it has a $799 special, it is the cheapest 24" s-pva panel but has high end features (notably multiple inputs) - the closest equivalent screen, the 245T, is about $1220.

Also the thing with Dell's warranty is that after 30 days, if you get it exchanged, you will be getting a refurbished one, not a new monitor. I'm not sure if that is very good...