PDA

View Full Version : Someone stole my internet?

qazwsxokmijn
04-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Apparently my IP address was the one used to vandalise a Wikipedia page on Kelston Boys' High School on 5th July.

I did not attend this school, let alone tamper with the Wikipedia page dedicated to it.

Did someone steal my internet?

CYaBro
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Do you have a wireless network?

qazwsxokmijn
04-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Do you have a wireless network?
Nope. That's what makes me afraid.

beeswax34
04-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Aren't IP addresses randomly allocated. Your ISP will have a block of IP addresses and it is possible that the school got it once and now you have it. Just restart your modem and you should have a new one.

stu161204
04-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Who's your ISP?

Have you got a fixed ip address??

qazwsxokmijn
04-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Nah, it wasn't the school. It was someone else.

My ISP is (sigh) Xtra and I'm on go large still. I'm not literate on the whole IP thing, so I'm not certain if I have a fixed IP address, though I am not quite sure.

EDIT: after following beeswax's advise, I found my IP address has changed after I've restarted the modem. Still....I shared an IP address with a damn vandal.

Jen
04-08-2008, 10:38 PM
You don't mention who notified you that your IP was used on that date to cause damage to the website. Your ISP knows what IP was assigned to someone on a certain date. If their records show only you had that IP on the 5th of July then you can see why they are accusing you.

Do you have other family members who may have been up to mischief eg siblings? Did any of your friends use your computer or connection on that day?

qazwsxokmijn
04-08-2008, 10:44 PM
You don't mention who notified you that your IP was used on that date to cause damage to the website. Your ISP knows what IP was assigned to someone on a certain date. If their records show only you had that IP on the 5th of July then you can see why they are accusing you.

Do you have other family members who may have been up to mischief eg siblings? Did any of your friends use your computer or connection on that day?
A Wiki user warned me against the changes made by this person. My brother would not know how to edit a wiki page and as far as I can remember none of my friends visited on that day.

There's nothing to worry about now, I think anyways.....

Jen
04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
A Wiki user warned me against the changes made by this person. I don't understand this. You saying a wiki user tracked you down via your IP? Only ISPs can link an IP with a user account details.

Out of interest, I just checked your IP records for this forum and between July 3rd and 8th, you had three different IPs assigned to you. I have the IP used by you on the 5th of July if you wish to compare that with the one identified with damaging the wiki. PM me if you want that information. :)

qazwsxokmijn
05-08-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't understand this. You saying a wiki user tracked you down via your IP? Only ISPs can link an IP with a user account details.

Out of interest, I just checked your IP records for this forum and between July 3rd and 8th, you had three different IPs assigned to you. I have the IP used by you on the 5th of July if you wish to compare that with the one identified with damaging the wiki. PM me if you want that information. :)
Thanks for the offer Jen. PM sent.

Wikipedia allows every user to see changes made and the user that changed it. If the user is not logged in, then their IP address will be recorded instead. This user messaged me through Wiki's messaging system, not email.

utopian201
05-08-2008, 10:34 AM
from my understanding, Go Large gives you a new IP each time you connect. It is not a static IP.

bevy121
05-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Well there is another obvious conclusion.

If indeed it was the IP assigned to your username on that date/time, there is a possibility that someone has "collected" your login/password and has used it to log in to the xtra network and hacked the page as "you".
Easy to do if they have an telecom connection as well.

Same with any others - if you have a ihug connection for instance, and you know (acquire) anyone else's username/password (on ihug), you can log in using their details, and for all intensive purposes it is recorded as them on the network.

qazwsxokmijn
05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Well there is another obvious conclusion.

If indeed it was the IP assigned to your username on that date/time, there is a possibility that someone has "collected" your login/password and has used it to log in to the xtra network and hacked the page as "you".
Easy to do if they have an telecom connection as well.

Same with any others - if you have a ihug connection for instance, and you know (acquire) anyone else's username/password (on ihug), you can log in using their details, and for all intensive purposes it is recorded as them on the network.
I wouldn't be too worried about someone stealing my login and password. You see, each day our family has to reset the connection about 5 times. That should give you an idea about how crap Telecom's infrastructure is.

bevy121
05-08-2008, 05:09 PM
doesn't matter how many times you "reset the connection" the username and password that is used is the same as it was when you signed up.

That doesn't change....

Only your password can be changed, and then that would only happen if you initiated a "change of password request"

Billy T
05-08-2008, 11:34 PM
You see, each day our family has to reset the connection about 5 times. That should give you an idea about how crap Telecom's infrastructure is.

Just out of interest, how do you know it's not your own wiring infra-structure that's crap? I use Telecom-Xtra, have done for many years, and was a very early adopter for DSL. I can count my ISP problems over that time on the fingers of one hand with two spare to salute the King of Tonga. I've had a modem failure, a card fail at the exchange, and a more recent issue downloading email that went away after a few days. Allowing that I've forgotten a couple, I'll dispense with the salute and call it five.

I think shonky house phone-wiring is the problem in a lot of cases of poor dsl service, that and using unbalanced 3-wire phone systems. I started with a dedicated line from a splitter at the point of entry, changed all wiring to a 2-wire system as recommended by Telecom for ADSL, then wired the entire system in Cat-5E cable from the splitter onwards and I think that has been a significant factor in keeping my line speed up and the connection reliable.

It is cheap and easy to install a splitter at the POE then run a Cat-5 cable to the computer/DSL modem. After that it doesn't matter quite as much what the rest of the house is like, though it will probably reduce the load on the incoming line if you get rid of the 3-wire system and use a balanced line to feed your phones as well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

qazwsxokmijn
06-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Just out of interest, how do you know it's not your own wiring infra-structure that's crap?
Some of my neighbours have the same problem, my phone lines had been checked by an electrician.

Billy T
06-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Some of my neighbours have the same problem, my phone lines had been checked by an electrician.

I wouldn't say they don't exist, but I have yet to find an electrician who knows anything about diagnosing phone or data problems. They are fine for new installations, but I'm not sure that their training goes to deeply into the theory. Ask one if he knows the difference between a two wire and three wire phone system, and why. Balanced lines are not something they generally know about unless specifically trained.

Your neighbours probably will have the same problem, especially if you are in a suburb older than 10-12 years because they will all be three-wire systems. Never mind them, check your own system. Distance from the exchange is important too for connection speed, I am about 2km away by road.

It is no use griping about Telecom's service until you know that you have eliminated all of the factors outside of their control, and the most fundamental thing of all is to have a two wire phone system, which requires rewiring to achieve if you have the old three wire cable.

Just not using one wire won't help. I left a 4-5 metre length of 3-wire cable between two phone outlets because it was too hard to get to and even though connected as a two-wire system, those phones were as noisy as hell with mains buzz and hum. After several years I finally got annoyed enough to rewire them, even though it meant cutting holes in walls etc and that cured the noises completely.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SolMiester
06-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Hehe, I kept complaining to Telecom about constant disconnections and low speeds, after change aslam card, circuits and ports etc for me with dropout still the same, they just me a dedicated ADSL line straight to my jack, this didnt solve the drop outs, but my speed went from 1.8m to 4.1mb.

I bought another router and the disconnections stopped....oops!

Billy T
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
they just me a dedicated ADSL line straight to my jack, this didnt solve the drop outs, but my speed went from 1.8m to 4.1mb.

I rest my case. :D