PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot to OS

Blam
04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Someone came to me with a laptop infected with many trojans, everytime you tried to open My Computer it would say "Windows Explorer has stopped working" . I scanned with Trojan Remover and it picked up lots of nasties and after rebooting it could not load the OS. What happens is it shows the boot screen but then it goes to a scrren with two options:
Launch startup repair, and continue.
If I select the latter then it goes back to the same screen and if I try startup repair it come up withh this message: Windows cannot solve this problem automatically. I booted up with a Vista Recovery CD and I tried to access system restore but there were no restore points. I can open command prompt but I don't know how to use it to fix his computer. He really does not not want to reimage it but if all else fails he will do it.

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Did you run trojan remover update it then scan?

And select all options under utilities??

Will it boot into safe mode now?

pctek
04-08-2008, 08:02 PM
What happens is it shows the boot screen but then it goes to a scrren with two options:
Launch startup repair, and continue.
if I try startup repair it come up withh this message: Windows cannot solve this problem automatically.

Yep, Vistas repair function is completely and utterly useless.

Pull the drive out, retrieve his personal stuff and then you're stuck with a reimage.

Blam
04-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Speedy: YES, NO, NO

wainuitech
04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
One thing that has worked once or twice but not always, is take out the Hard drive from the laptop, attach it to a another PC, XP or preferably Vista as a slave, (you may need a adapter to attach to the PC unless its a SATA Hard Drive) - open Computer, right click on the damaged drive,from the tools ( I think it is from memory) tell it to check the drive.

Sometimes it finds faults and repairs them - other times as Pctek mentioned.

Blam
04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
No way to fix it using command prompt?

wainuitech
04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
You Can try this - god knows if it will work, Known fixes in XP dont always work the same in Vista -

Two things to try - Restart the laptop, keep tapping F8, on the options that appear, select
start in last known good configuration, hit enter, and follow the instructions. It May let it boot up to how it was.
Start again, but this time select safe mode with command prompt, IF it loads a Command prompt screen ---
You will get C:\Windows\System32 , type in rstrui.exe press enter, IF your'e lucky it will bring up the restore window, and you can run any restores back to a working system.

The built in system restore in the Vista DVD is hopeless

IF you can get the command prompt by the above method and restore doesn't work try typing in chkdsk /f you will get a prompt that it cant run as the drives locked, do you want to run it next time windows restarts, Y and restart.
OR

type in chkdsk press enter, and it will do a basic disk check.

Blam
04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Can already access cmd from Vista Recovery CD but there I no restore points, also what does chkdsk do and how can it fix the computer?

wainuitech
04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Basically chkdsk checks the system for errors and attempts to fix them, hence the /f switch.

As mentioned before the Vista DVD restore is hopeless - there has been a few times that I have run certain programs to use the system restore that's in windows, and its worked - the Vista DVD did nothing.

If you try Via the command prompt it may pick up restore points the DVD wont.

There is another way to use system restore but it requires downloading a program installing making a bootable cd - then it may or may not work even after all that.

Blam
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Cannot boot to safe mode- goes to same screen. Tried chkdsk /f but it said something about the disk being write protected. Chkdsk works but it picked up no problems. Haven't tried rstrui.exe in cmd yet but system restore on the vistpoosa recovery CD shows up no restore points. After pressing F8 repeatedly I have seen a new option called "repair your computer" but it requires a password for the username Administrator. I have tried the orginal password but it doesn't work. Even after changing it will cmd it still doesn't work.

feersumendjinn
06-08-2008, 12:42 AM
After pressing F8 repeatedly I have seen a new option called "repair your computer" but it requires a password for the username Administrator. I have tried the orginal password but it doesn't work. Even after changing it will cmd it still doesn't work.
Try just pressing Enter at that prompt.

Blam
07-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, in the end he decided a reimage was the last possible answer.