PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Colour lasers printers please.

Billy T
04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi Team

I need recommendations for a new colour laser printer. Print quality and reliability are most important, speed comes second, and consumable prices come third because I don't print many pages.

Back at the beginning of 2006 I took the plunge and bought an Epson Aculaser C1100. The first one I got didn't work properly so Epson replaced it with a new one, which should have warned me that all was not well!

I've printed fewer than 500 pages in total, colour and B&W, but earlier this year the replacement started smearing in small patches like paper guide or roller marks, which were not improved by any of the recommended cleaning processes, and now it will no longer respond to print commands. It receives the print information OK but throws up communication errors so I'm thinking I will have to write it off. My purchasing decision was based on the PCW review, which is a great disappointment. I have a call in to Epson at present, and intend to have discussions over the failure, but at two and a half years on even I recognise that my chances of success are limited.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :annoyed:

somebody
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Although my experience with colour lasers is limited, I've found Canon (black and white) lasers to be fantastic. I've printed over 2500 pages on my Canon LBP3300 in the last 12-18 months, and it's always been fast and reliable - even using 3rd party toner.

tweak'e
04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
i havn't used lazers a lot but my lbp5000 colour printer works well on all sorts of things.
smearing....watch the paper settings, set it to the wrong paper can make it smear especially with labels.

Billy T
04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, I successfully navigated through the first layer of defence at Epson, but the person my call was forwarded to was not in their office so I am now waiting for the message I left to be returned.

In the meantime, I have researched most of the colour lasers on PriceSpy that fit my price range and their reviews all leave something to be desired. Either that or the reviewers are very picky.

Do we have many users of personal colour lasers out there in PF1 land?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wratterus
04-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm using a Samsung Mono, it's great, don't know about colour though.

Fuji Xerox are good.

Billy T
04-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, in the course of a lengthy and rather unsatisfying search for a suitable replacement for the ailing Epson, (I'm a realist, not a pessimist) I have discovered that the AcuLaser C1100 is in fact a Fuji Xerox C525A (or vice versa), and after reading innumerable User Reviews it seems that most personal colour lasers are considered somewhat less than satisfactory by their owners, despite magazine reviewers waxing lyrical about them after a one-night stand and never seeing them again after breakfast.

What is particularly galling is that the Epson C1100 seems to rank quite well, apart from its reliability!! It is slow and noisy, but it produces good results (when it is not smearing that is).

If I want to replace it I'll probably have to look at the Canon or HP offerings, and I have a nagging suspicion that I read somewhere that HP use the Canon print engine so it's a case of same father different mother, same little bastard.

Ah well, as previously requested, any advice from satisfied users will be appreciated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Cicero
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
My cheap B/W Brother laser printer is brilliant,no doubt colour is another matter.

Billy T
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
smearing....watch the paper settings, set it to the wrong paper can make it smear especially with labels.

The smear is a printer fault not related to print media, in fact it smeared least on labels. The biggest problem now of course, is that it receives the data but doesn't print at all.

Just out of interest this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Epson-3.jpg) is an example of the smear as sent to Epson.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

CYaBro
04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
The smear is a printer fault not related to print media, in fact it smeared least on labels. The biggest problem now of course, is that it receives the data but doesn't print at all.

Just out of interest this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Epson-3.jpg) is an example of the smear as sent to Epson.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

Looks like there is a problem with the drum and that is causing the smears at regular intervals.
It probably has some marks on it. It may just need replacing as they don't last forever.