PDA

View Full Version : Cost to do Computer work

Paul Ramon
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
A freind of mine asked me yesterday how much is a fair charge to get a computer serviceman to format, reinstall XP Home & resetup his computer? There seems to be quite a variation in quotes/ estimates he has received - from $80 to over $300. He has all driver and software disks but doesn't want to attempt the job himself. What also is an average techs hourly charge?

Bantu
04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
I charge $75/hour.
Personally I would have your friend there with me and show him how to do it, it is very simple to do and once he knows he can do it next time.

Depends on how much software needs to be installed, if just the OS and maybe Office it would not take long, but adding in more apps, malware, anti spyware apps, anti virus, configuring printers, modems, networks etc etc etc all adds to the time spent.

jwil1
04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
$20 p/h - but I have only one semester of Uni under my belt - but lots of experience.

I would normally take it away, and do everything I can while not at the customer's house.

Then I'd come back and install printer etc.

nofam
04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I charge $75/hour.
Personally I would have your friend there with me and show him how to do it, it is very simple to do and once he knows he can do it next time.

Depends on how much software needs to be installed, if just the OS and maybe Office it would not take long, but adding in more apps, malware, anti spyware apps, anti virus, configuring printers, modems, networks etc etc etc all adds to the time spent.

Yup - I'd charge about $80 to do that - as Bantu says, it depends on what else he wants installed, if he needs RAID configured etc

It really is pretty straight forward if the setup is basic enough. There's some really good tutorials on how to do it, like this one (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp)

wratterus
04-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Would be $100 all told, with any supplied software installed and all Windows Updates installed, transferring data to and from PC, etc etc etc.

Scouse
04-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Would be $100 all told, with any supplied software installed and all Windows Updates installed, transferring data to and from PC, etc etc etc. As a layman who has caused more cock-ups in systems than enough (always my own I would point out), I would regard that as a bargain.

ronyville
04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I do odd computer jobs every now and then and I just take whateva the customer can afford to pay me. The most I have made was $50 in like 10mins... :banana connected a customers 2 pcs to the wireless that was running at her home and she just gave me $50, told her its too much and she said that she didnt mind.

pctek
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Retrieve customer data, reinstall Windows, drivers. Install antimalware, whatever apps etc. $125.

bevy121
04-08-2008, 10:58 AM
seems to get dearer as you go down the thread LOL

wratterus
04-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Inflation. It's now $110 here.

Nah, just kidding. :p

wainuitech
04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Depends on what needs to be done, $135 - $200.

Half the time people dont have software, driver CD's so if all those have to be downloaded or located it costs more.

Included in the pricing is collecting the PC, doing all the work, returning it, setting it up back on site, then you have to explain to some people how to use the antimaleware programs.

Example of software not being supplied - got a customers PC here right now, they have Office XP on it, and it has to be put back - No readable product key, they supplied the original packaging/CD Case, but the key had been damaged and can only read the first 8 numbers - No CD either - so I have had to spend at least 1.75 hours yesterday trying to get the system to a stable enough state to use a program that will tell me the key thats on the machine now - then I need to find a XP Office CD that works ---- So how much do you charge for that ?

Some places have set rates - One I know of its $180 Min - $320.00 Max

MushHead
04-08-2008, 12:09 PM
then you have to explain to some people how to use the antimaleware programs.

Hey! - could you explain that to me? - actually antifemaleware would be better in my case - do you have one of those?

Greven
04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Office is a serious pain in the ass because most people I have come across lose all the important CDs & product codes, so if you manage to recover the key, you still have to find a CD fro the exact version of office they had.

wainuitech
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey! - could you explain that to me? - actually antifemaleware would be better in my case - do you have one of those?
Maleware --OK one little typo so fire me :p

wainuitech
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Office is a serious pain in the ass because most people I have come across lose all the important CDs & product codes, so if you manage to recover the key, you still have to find a CD fro the exact version of office they had. My point exactly :D - So how do you charge if a tech has to spend a hour or more just looking for software the customer has lost ?

I have recovered the Key - Office XP pro (and I have tried 3 different CD's) wont work, office Standard wont work ??????

Paul Ramon
05-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone for that info.
There does seem to be a large variation in charges. So does that mean there is no standard set charge implemented by any authority? i.e like car repair charges. Would $250 seem OK then to pay for backing up email, address book, favourites etc as well?

wratterus
05-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks everyone for that info.
There does seem to be a large variation in charges. So does that mean there is no standard set charge implemented by any authority? i.e like car repair charges. Would $250 seem OK then to pay for backing up email, address book, favourites etc as well?

IMO that's a little on the steep side.

Maybe $150-200?

Digby
05-08-2008, 12:23 PM
$20 p/h - but I have only one semester of Uni under my belt - but lots of experience.

I would normally take it away, and do everything I can while not at the customer's house.

Then I'd come back and install printer etc.

You are far too cheap, and spoiling it for everyone else who tries to make a living.

It is a relatively easy job, once you have done it a few times. But there is always the chance of things going wrong, which is when you need someone with some experience.

jwil1
05-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I intend to up my price once I'm more qualified. I tend to charge a flat hourly rate (regardless of the work) rather than a 'per-job' flat price.

I recently did two very different jobs both involving a reinstall - one with less than 100MB of data and one with 200GB+ (and lots of spyware!).

Big one cost $235, small one $125

I usually quote $150-$250 though, depending on the amount of stuff on the machine, whether the client is retired or not :p (if they are I charge half price), what they want restored and whether they have the install source and driver CDs or not.

pctek
05-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Dunno about anyone else but I retrieve their stuff first.
And reinstall more than just the O/S. It all takes time

Agent_24
05-08-2008, 01:58 PM
My point exactly :D - So how do you charge if a tech has to spend a hour or more just looking for software the customer has lost ?

I have recovered the Key - Office XP pro (and I have tried 3 different CD's) wont work, office Standard wont work ??????

There needs to be a program where you can enter the key and it tells you exactly what it's for

drcspy
05-08-2008, 03:58 PM
$60 per hour but i'm generous and sometimes dont charge for time spent doing some stuff (it's not always practical)

in general ......retreive their data onto dvd - half hour maybe at most (in some cases this'll involve slaving their drive if the o/s is in bad shape........emails/docs/addys/favorites etc etc........

install windoze 40 mins approx(not all of that is 'handson' time of course)
install drivers 15 mins approx (assuming you've got em and dont have to google em and get em first)
install apps and re-instate their data.......could be an hour..........

most I've charged for this sort of job was $180 I think......

robsonde
05-08-2008, 04:27 PM
A freind of mine asked me yesterday how much is a fair charge to get a computer serviceman to format, reinstall XP Home & resetup his computer? There seems to be quite a variation in quotes/ estimates he has received - from $80 to over $300. He has all driver and software disks but doesn't want to attempt the job himself. What also is an average techs hourly charge?

depending on what apps he wants installed, if he has done a backup ......

some people just want a full format and base install win XP + drivers.
some what you to backup stuff then format , install XP + drivers, then install office and all other crap.

a re-install will cost $200 - $300.

I bill my time at $60 per hour.

Digby
05-08-2008, 05:03 PM
It seems that everyone on this Forum is computer techie !

robsonde
05-08-2008, 05:56 PM
It seems that everyone on this Forum is computer techie !

I am a unix geek by trade....

I do basic tech work on weekends for friends and charge most of them.