PDA

View Full Version : userinit.exe ?

micky
04-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I have got this error message on my laptop userinit.exe after a failed install of Windows XP Media Center, PC just goes to desktop with no icons and thats it, I can't even get into safe mode anyone know how to remedy this will an XP disc repair do it?

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
The only thing you may be able to do is remove the hdd, and put it in a working system. Then scan it

If that doesnt work, you probably have to reformat / use the restore partition

micky
06-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Hi

I've removed the hard drive how do I go about scanning it ?

Cheers Mike

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Well whatever you've put it in, will have to have a virus scanner installed on it.

If it hasnt got a virus scanner on the computer, you've put in it, install one

ie:Avast Home (www.avast.com)

bevy121
06-08-2008, 12:33 PM
If it was me, with a "failed install" prob - I would reformat and do a clean install again.

If there's one thing not right in the installation process, you don't know how many other probs are there "waiting" to make themselves apparent.

micky
06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
I have scanned with Avast couldn't find anything wrong, so does that mean a reformat?

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Yup, unless you can do a repair on it

kahawai chaser
06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
My mate had a similar error, which we believe was a result of spyware intrusion, which altered the registry. We attempted a repair by registry editing, but other errors occurred, e.g. instant log off after logging on.

In the end, as noted above, we did a partial recovery from the recovery program on his lap top. Though his personal folders were moved, and some he thought had disappeared. I have documented our procedure, in my blog here (http://pcsourcepoint.blogspot.com/2008/05/user-log-in-registry-corruption-error.html)...

micky
07-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey Speedy

I tried copying my Acer 80GB hdd usb to my 250GB Ebook hdd usb. And it just came up with loads of virus's so I stopped the process Avast didn't pick up anything is there an online scanner that I use to scan Acer 80GB hdd usb?
Before doing anything else!

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Format it dont copy it to another hdd

wainuitech
07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
This may be to late, but if you can put it on another PC and scan with antimalware that's in my sig you may be able to rescue it.

Just today I collected a customers PC with the exact same problem this morning. The drive was removed, scanned on a workshop PC, using Malwarebytes and super Antispyware - this found the infections and got it going good enough to run on its own.
Then Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware, Spyware terminator Spybot S&D installed to remove the remainder, along with Nod32 antivirus- its now running sweet as.

bevy121
08-08-2008, 01:06 AM
after a failed install of Windows XP Media Center

Unless I am getting it wrong, surely if it's an install thats not gone 100% it's better to do the installation again regardless?

Am I missing something here?

wainuitech
08-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Am I missing something here? Dont think so bevy, there actually could be two problems.

Just reread the complete postings, there could have been a failed repair install ?? and that could have been because of the viruses mentioned in post #9. Both could be the cause of the userinit.exe error message.

The reply I put above was fixed as I mentioned due to viruses.
But you are right, if the new install went belly up, best to start again - but one thing that's seems "odd" - if its windows Media Center
will an XP disc repair do it Why not just use the correct Disk in the first place?

bevy121
08-08-2008, 11:51 AM
if its windows Media Center

will an XP disc repair do it

yea - didn't actually notice that!

now I'm definately confused :rolleyes:

micky
12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Reformatted today all is well thanks

SPARTAN 860
12-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh and you should get something that lets you do full system backups, those are lifesavers when you need them.