PDA

View Full Version : What kind of laptop should I get?

Bomba
04-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Which one should I get?

I want to surf the internet watch movies, edit videos, upload them, edit/cread pics. Maybe 1 day games, and anything els I throw at it....

I just want it to be fast. :)

Please explain why... I love Alienware but idk Apple looks nice but they can't run certain apps, and Sony I just like :)

gary67
04-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Don't know much about alienware and would not touch any apple product as too difficult to get fixed if problems arise has to go to an apple repairer and not many around especially here in Nelson

Bantu
04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Mac Book Pro, Toshiba or Leveno (AKA IBM).

If Mac Book Pro is in your price range you should also be looking at Toshiba Satellite or Satellite Pro series and Leveno T61.

The Intel based Mac Book Pro's are able to run windows apps just as you other two choices are.

As far as repairs go no worse than anything else.

jwil1
04-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Neither.

Go for an Asus machine. Very good quality (both inside and out) and you get the same spec for much less $ than Sony's and Alienwares. All th options in the poll are ALL overpriced for what you get. Asus has best value.

BUT if you want real power, get a desktop machine and a cheapish laptop.

My machine (specs in sig) cost me $1500 + screen. Go figure :)

wratterus
04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Asus are good.

HP are also good, for the higher end lappys, don't get the Compaq though, just HP.

Bomba
04-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, jeesh :( lol I love alienware and mac book pro looks nice IM into looks to and apple looks good but eh... and idk about sony though like the FW? Is it good? Jeesh If I could mmm Idk but Apple or AlienWare? I love the looks of them and jwil1 how do you have 2 os? Is it a hack or something? That would be nice. I would like to have 2... :) haha

jwil1
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
No, it's not a hack - I installed XP first then loaded Vista onto a different hard drive = menu at bootup - choose one of 2 OS's.

Considering a triple boot with openSUSE or something... :D

Bomba
04-08-2008, 10:11 AM
lol Haha I wanna do that but I don't think I can do that with a laptop can I? Or can I? lol Right now I just want a laptop with such power where like It wont slow down like lag or anything all the time?

jwil1
04-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Yep you can.

Just partition the hard disk.

But you'll get quite limited HD space in both OSs (if you have a 160GB HD = <80GB per OS if you halve it)

You can set XP up in a VM using Virtual PC though. Don't run Vista in a VM though. VPC doesn't support Aero :xmouth:

BUT do what I did and get LEGIT software licenses for BOTH or you'll get in trouble.

Seriously though, consider getting a really fast desktop instead of forking over $4000 for a semi-fast laptop. But it's your $.

Bomba
04-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Well I don't wanna spend that much for a laptop my computer is fine now I should just buy some ram for it and another harddrive but I just want a laptop. lol Alienware looks awsome and MacBook Pro looks awsome.... and if I was to get the MacBook Id get VM (some how) and stick with the OS X or the new lepord 1 or w.e and the XP PRO. :) Sounds good right? Or no lol But for right now I just want a laptop to have and fast enough for what I wanna run my applications on like photoshop, Sony Vegas editing, uploading videos on youtube. Saven files etc... you no and I dont wanna buy like the Alienware or MacBook pro that will slow down and lag etc... lol I heard MacBook pro is the thing for it but wouldn't alienware be better? Since it has all that it has?

jwil1
04-08-2008, 10:36 AM
You'll be up for $3200 for the Macbook, $4820 for the Alienware or $5000 for the Sony then :)

http://search.dse.co.nz/search.php?sessionid=4896291f0cd6758c273fc0a87f3b0 708&site=&w=macbook+pro (Macbook DSE search)

http://www.alienware.co.nz/dnn2/default.aspx?tabid=104&ConfigurationID=67 (Alienware website)

http://sonystyle.co.nz/vaio/product/vaio-by-price/notebook-panel-pc/vgnar69gu.jsp (Sony website)

Bomba
04-08-2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.alienware.com/customize/area-51-m17x-notebook.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M17X&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Check:
17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology – Black
Includes AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard – Exclusive Design!

intel® Core™ 2 Extreme X9000 2.8GHz (6MB Cache 800MHz FSB)
The world’s most powerful mobile processor!

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz – 2 x 1024MB

120GB 7,200RPM (8MB Cache) Smart Bay w/ Free Fall Protection [+$150 or $5/mo.]

Intel® Turbo Memory (1GB) – Accelerate Data Transfer Speed
Available on Windows Vista Only!

$3,349 but yea close enough I thought that would be good enough?

But then again ???? Lol Is Apple better than that?

utopian201
04-08-2008, 10:55 AM
is there a reason you need it to be a laptop? like a poster before said, you're paying a premium for the portability if absolute maximum speed for $ is needed.

I always thought Dell laptops were quite good; you can configure almost everything on them (HDD, ram, CPU) like a desktop.

Bantu
04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Macbook Pro is Intel based, it comes with Mac OSX installed and also comes with Bootcamp with allows you to install Windows Programs on it as well.

http://www.apple.com/nz/macbookpro/

Bomba
04-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, no reason well no main reason. I need a laptop other than just haven 1 because I already have a desktop and I want a laptop so I feel a little more comfortable just sitting down, laying down, or just bringing it with me so I can do stuff. I would love that.

But yea I just want it to be able to just take what I give it.... what does intel based mean? but yea i would love to have a dual boot on my laptop... and even my desktop...

Bomba
04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Voodoo seems cool lol

snafu
04-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Intel based means it has an Intel CPU.

beeswax34
04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Other than the fact that the Mac Pro looks "cool", is there any other appeal?

I would personally get a HP or Lenovo Thinkpad.

gary67
04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Is it me or is the written and spoken English language getting to an abysmal level these days> I have had trouble following the original poster maybe because I'm a bit older and don't do kid speak

zahmad
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Asus..others are overpriced...

beeswax34
04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Is it me or is the written and spoken English language getting to an abysmal level these days> I have had trouble following the original poster maybe because I'm a bit older and don't do kid speak

No, its not you. Its the kids.

gary67
05-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks Beeswax this kid speak drives me nuts sometimes it's hard to understand it, especially when old words get new meanings completely different to what they were such as haven in this case I think its meant to represent have one