PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Vista from XP/Vista dual boot

springa886
03-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

I have both XP Home and Vista Home Premium instaled on my PC, both instaled on one 120Gig drive partitioned into 2 60Gig drives. I would like to remove the Vista partition and merge the free space into the XP partition.
Is this an easy proccess or would I have to format the whole drive and install a fresh copy of XP??

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 09:14 PM
You'll probably have to use partitionmagic or gparted to merge them

Editing the boot.ini file in XP, so the XP Home entry is the only entry there may work. Then format the Vista partition

springa886
03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I deleted the partition using the XP CD but the boot option for both OS's still came up. Here is what my boot.ini file says...
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Is this how it should be?

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Hmm this is mine but Pro

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Try deleting

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;

And make Microsoft one word

Save it, then reboot

springa886
03-08-2008, 09:46 PM
The space in Microsoft is something to do with posting stuf on this site, iv'e had that problem before... It's in your entry too

springa886
03-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I just tried editing the boot.ini file they way you suggested but the boot option still came up!!
Holy toledoes and red socks batman!!!

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 09:54 PM
I think it installs some files on XP, they maybe hidden.

Show hidden files and operating system files. They'll be on C..

I had a similar prob when I installed Server 2008 (which is identical to Vista / same interface), to check it out

I'm pretty sure it installs files to do with it on C. Just cant remember the names of the files

They'll be pretty obvious, coz theyre not part of XP

springa886
03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I deleted some .SQM files lol I dont know what they were (I guess its not a good idea to delete things I dont know!!) and nothing happened. Still got the boot option!!

springa886
03-08-2008, 10:02 PM
How about this...

Go to your System Properties (either by control panel or properties of "My Comptuer")
Click the tab for "Advanced"
Click the button for "Settings" in the Startup and Recovery section.

Here you can set the how long that menu displays for, "0" doesnt display the menu.

Or is this just hidding my problem instead of fixing it?

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 10:06 PM
No dont change it to 0 it'll probably show a black screen.

Then you wont see anything. And those sqm files I think, belong to windows live messenger. Whatever its called

Take a snapshot of c, with hidden and system files showing

jwil1
03-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Try downloading EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) and remove Vista from the menu, from within XP.

springa886
03-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I installed and used EasyBCD to delete Vista from the boot menu and Viola. I thought that program only worked on Vista but thats great! Thanks jwil1... And Speedy, ur still a legend!!

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Cool, it worked :banana

Actually I may have used EasyBCD.

I just cant remember whether I did or not :confused: