PDA

View Full Version : New ADSL wireless Modem

The_End_Of_Reality
03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Peeps :D

It looks like my current ADSL modem/router is on it's way out (LAN ports have died) and I am in need of a new one. Easy you say? I have requirements for this and they are not standard for a modem/router... What I am looking for is:

ADSL modem/router
Wireless b/g/n 300mbs with external antennas
Atleast 4 1000/100/10 LAN ports
USB print server (not essential, but preferable)
AND it must be very reliable.

Everything I have found that would be good for this does not have the ADSL modem part to it (which I kinda need :p)

Any jump to mind? Or would it be easier to get a cheap reliable modem and then a broadband router with the above requirements?

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Here's one but without the print server (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175243241047&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4104733028B07)

But it does have an onboard media centre

chiefnz
03-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I've got a 3Com wireless ADSL modem/router/firewall if you want it.

$80 and it's yours. Nothing wrong with it. I replaced it with a ADSL2+ unit from Vodafone as I am on their ADSL2+ network now.

PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,

The_End_Of_Reality
03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Speedy, I was looking at one of them, EXCEPT there is no mention of it being an actual modem, which is what I need.

Chief, PM sent requesting more details.

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 09:26 PM
This one then (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=363744)

You'll even get a USB adapter with it, Wireless N, 5 ports. And a modem/router. And a USB port for 3G or a printer

The_End_Of_Reality
03-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Hmm, I should also add an extra requirement... below $400.

And only one ethernet port is gigabit, I am looking for one with all gigabit ports...

Believe me, I have looked everywhere, here was my last resort :p and I don't think there is a modem/router with my requirements.

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Well, wireless N by itself, isnt exactly cheap

You'll be lucky to get all of those features for under $400

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Hmm this says (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=450535) it's a modem and a router, with GB ports.

And a meter to show you whats happening

BUT, by the looks of it it may only connect at 54mb with other Pre-N devices, if:

Question

When I connect my Draft-N wireless clients to the N1 Vision router or Modem-Router, they will show a link speed of 54 Mbps only unless I disable wireless security. Why?

Answer

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the Atheros wireless chipset in the N1 Vision unit. The chipset will support link speeds of up to 300 Mbps but only when WPA2 security is used or when no security at all is used.

The best solution is therefore to use WPA2 Security.

In order to do so, your client software needs to support WPA2.

The software that comes with the Belkin draft-N clients offers support for WPA2 on all supported Operating Systems.

When you use the support for Wireless Networking built into Windows (Wireless Zero Configuration) on Windows Vista or Windows XP with Service Pack 3, it will offer support for WPA2 straight away. When you want to use it on Windows XP with Service Pack 2. you need the WPA2 update for Windows supplied by Microsoft.

You can find it on the MS site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357/en-us)

The_End_Of_Reality
03-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Can get everything minus the modem for ~$300, so maybe get a cheap reliable modem for under $100 and done, not all in one, but all main requirements sorted.

The_End_Of_Reality
07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I have had a look at that one and though it does have all the major requirements, there seem to be major speed issues with the wireless.

I think I might just wait and see in a few weeks if my modem lasts that long, I think the best and easiest way is to get a cheap reliable modem and get a router with all the requirements and use the modem as just a modem.

Sorry for the late update, work has been really busy and I have been playing with my new toy :D