PDA

View Full Version : Home networking

meg_h_nz
03-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi Guys
I have managed to set up my wireless router (connected to my ADSL modem) and have Internet on my new laptop. We also have a pc connected to the same modem. Should I be able to access the desktop via this net work? If so how? :help:
I am totally ignorant about these things.
My husband has a laptop arriving next week and that will be using wireless too. At that time we plan to plug our net workable printer into the router so we can have wireless printing.........? How difficult will this be to set up?

Many thanks

Meg

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2008, 07:20 AM
You configure it the same way you configure an ethernet connection (If it were connected by cable).

But you'll also have to log into the router, and enable the wireless and the encryption (something better than WEP - ie: WPA or WPA2).

Then you'll have to type in a password (the longer the better). In the router, and on the networked PC's. Then save / apply the settings, then reboot the router.

You do what I posted here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=92154&page=2) to print wirelessly.

You can also select browse (once you share the printer), on the networked PC/s, if you've done it properly (make sure the workgroup names are the same), you'll see the printer