PDA

View Full Version : Firefox keeps crashing

Alison
01-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi, I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.16 and I'm having lots of problems with it crashing repeatedly. I get two error messages:

1. The instruction at "0x004e24ca" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

2. a Firefox.exe error message saying "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I have to click on Close to close message 2 first before I can get message 1 to shut down. I also need to click on OK several times to shut message 1 down.

I use the same Firefox version on my laptop and the kids computer and have had no drama with either of them.

Has anyone got any suggestions to try and sort this out, as I've had to resort to IE to post this (yuck). Thanks for any help.

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Could be an addon. What addons did you install for FF?

wainuitech
01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
try starting FF in its safe mode, click Start/All Programs/ Mozilla FireFox - there you will see an option to start in safe mode, it disables all the add ons, and a few other things, you will get a pop up window that allows you to select only certain items. Click "continue In Safe mode".

See if it crashes in this mode.

beeswax34
01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Any reason you aren't using FF3?

Alison
01-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

1. Addons are AVG Safe Search 8.0 and Security Toolbar

2. Will try opening in Safe Mode next time I use Firefox.

3. I haven't changed to FF3 yet cos I haven't got around to it. Might be a good reason to change!!