PDA

View Full Version : I/O device error that really a problem

Hootyhoo
01-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Not that any I/O error is'nt but this ones really troubling me and my daughter. She has a Photosmart 315 camera that loads to a CF card. Since the beginning of time we have just pulled the card and stuck it into a reader and wam theres our pictures. Well somethings happened. All of a sudden all the computers in this house and anywhere else recognize the card but are not reading it cause of a I/O error that occurs. Heres where it gets good. The pictures -all of them show up on the camera view just fine, but thats as far as it goes. The camera is reading the card fine, nothing else can. 251 pictures of my daughters first 2 week vacation and I can't get them off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Been playing Email tag with HP all day with no results. I do believe the card has a problem but the camera is still reading the card so what else will? Thanks for your time.

wainuitech
01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Welcome to press F1 Hooty,

Go to This site here (http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfind.php?st=File+recovery&action=s&search=Find+it&lc=1) look at the three bottom programs, download and install any one that takes your fancy, put the card in the PC and scan with the program, hopefully it will read the card and you can recover the photo's.

The other way is to connect the camera to the PC Via its USB cable, and using something like picasa (http://picasa.google.com/) to export the photos to the PC.

Good luck.

gary67
01-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Welcome to PF1 have you tried another card reader? Has any new software or updates been loaded? What OS are you using XP or Vista or something else?

Hootyhoo
02-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the quick reply folks. Yes I have tried the one that comes in the PSC 2350 printer and my stand alone reader, on 3 separate computers. 2 of which haven't gotten anything new as far as software for quite a while. Tried the USB cable which I have never done before this happened, but in all I read, I believe if the card is bigger than 32 mb then XP can't read it, and the only way the card can be read is with a reader, but I did try. The card 128 mb. Pretty wierd, ya think? Thanks again for the support and help so far.

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Umm how big is the card then if its bigger than 32mb??

XP should be able to read from 32mb (or whatever the lowest memory card size is) - maybe 4 GB

XP may have probs reading cards bigger than 4GB+ tho. If the XP update isnt installed.

Depending on what service pack is installed (SP3 may have the update)

Altho not all card readers can read high capacity memory cards either

pctek
02-08-2008, 09:58 AM
The other way is to connect the camera to the PC Via its USB cable, and using something like picasa (http://picasa.google.com/) to export the photos to the PC.

Good luck.
Why? Picasa is for editing.
Just use Windows Explorer to transfer them.

wainuitech
02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Why? Picasa is for editing.
Just use Windows Explorer to transfer them. Picasa has an import pictures option directly from a camera, if the Camera is reading the Card Ok, its a chance ( may be slim) that Picasa may be able to import.
Usually as mentioned, you could use windows explorer to import, but it appears windows is not reading the card correctly.

The function is top left button - Import /Select Device, and hopefully it will detect the card in the camera.

Hootyhoo
03-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Wainuitech -Yes by logic if the camera is reading the card then I should be able to USB connect and somehow pull it out. Problem with that is that everything that I have read about the Photosmart 315 says that XP for some reason will show an I/O error if your card is bigger than 32 mb. Mine is 128, but I already tried with HP's image zone stuff, and photoshop. What is Picasa? I also downloaded one of those Data recovery programs, seems kinda cool, but it gave me 27 JPG files restored that where at an average of 4-20 mb per when my usual size is around 600 kb. The worst thing is that they too won't open. It says that that JPG is not supported. What JPG. I have never had any problems with any JPG files. Thanks so far.

wainuitech
03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I have used the PC Inspector File Recovery a few times, it does a reasonable job, never used the other two. I have a different File recovery program that I use a Lot, ( but it's not free). The PC Inspector File Recovery shows the windows Explorer style layout, the photos you may be seeing could be on the PC depending on what one you had.

What is Picasa

Have a look at this site / Link (http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=11147) it explains in more detail than I would write.

In the top left corner of the interface is an import button, when you click that you get another window that allows you to import pictures from various sources, including a camera.

The line of thinking I have is maybe - if the camera is detecting the pictures fine, then if the camera is connected to the PC, Picasa may be able to import them to the PC, THEN you wont lose the pictures, then you can work out the problem with the card.

Regarding the files not opening, what are you using to view the photos ( JPG)

Hootyhoo
04-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm using Photoshop, Imagezone, and Microsofts Photo edit. The error is "Unknow JPEG marker is found". Thanks

Graham L
04-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Try using the card reader without any helpful picture processing utilities. The pictures on the card are files, so keep it simple by copying files without any assumptions made by programmes.

If XP detects the card, cancel the popup asking what "helpful feature" of Windows you wish to use with the device. You don't want them. ;) Go to "My Computer" and see if the card appears as a removable disk. Then open that as a disk drive. The pictures will be in a sub directory, so try any directories until you find the picture directory. Copy them to a directory on your hard disk.

You could try using the camera, connected with USB cable, as a card reader too. Again, ignore XP's helpful hints. Don't use a picture processing programme. You want to copy some files from the card. "All you have read" about XP giving errors for big cards might be wrong (or outdated? . Try it anyway.

I hope the "fixing" programme didn't write its repairs to the flashcard. They don't appear to have been useful. :(