PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word in Works and Problem Opening

ami jane
31-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I do need help as I have just completed a long project in Word (part of Microsoft Works) and sent it to my own computer which runs Microsoft Word...but not thru their Works. It has been suggested to me that these two M'soft "Word" programs are not compatible because I can not open them in the standard M'soft Word program on my own computer - (different from the sending p.c.). Is there a way of fixing this problem easily? Appreciate any advice. I should mention that I get a message on my p.c. that "Windows can not open as it does not know what file created it". The sending p.c. runs vista...I run XP.Thanks.

johcar
31-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Try using a text editor (Wordpad or Notepad) to open it - you may lose some formatting, but you should be able to copy/paste from the text editor into MS Word.

What's the file extension of the Works document? Sounds like the original has been created in Works 2007 and you're perhaps using Word 2003?? So there might be compatibility issues.

Do you have the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed on your XP machine?

bevy121
01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
If you just want to open the file for reading, printing etc there is this very small MS programme (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en) - but you cant edit with it.

If you want to edit, you'll need later MS Office/Word software

feersumendjinn
01-08-2008, 08:22 AM
I do need help as I have just completed a long project in Word (part of Microsoft Works)
Not true, I'm sorry to say.

Yorick
16-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I do need help as I have just completed a long project in Word (part of Microsoft Works) and sent it to my own computer which runs Microsoft Word...but not thru their Works. It has been suggested to me that these two M'soft "Word" programs are not compatible because I can not open them in the standard M'soft Word program on my own computer - (different from the sending p.c.). Is there a way of fixing this problem easily? Appreciate any advice. I should mention that I get a message on my p.c. that "Windows can not open as it does not know what file created it". The sending p.c. runs vista...I run XP.Thanks.

Download the Novell version of OpenOffice.org from:
http://go-oo.org/

It handles works files without any issue and will save in a format that MS word can cope with. Although it's probably just easier to use OpenOffice instead.

mzee
16-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Have the sender save it in 'Rich text format' RTF. Just about any word processor will read it. If the document contains graphics etc there may be a problem. If you don't want to edit it, you could have it converted to PDF.