PDA

View Full Version : XP not always loading

jebby
31-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi all, any suggestions as to what I could try here. 8 times out of 10 xp loads ok, but the other couple of times it gets through the post ok then will sit at the Win splash screen with the blue graph bar running left to right and that's as far as it goes, can leave for 1/2 hr. and still Win wont load. I press the stop button on comp., restart, and away we go untill next time. Not serious but getting annoying.
MB GA-MA790FX-DS5
CPU AMD Phenom 9750 quad core
MEM 2x2GB
GPU 8600gt
PSU 620w
HDD Seagate 300GB
O/S XPsp3 Home

wainuitech
31-07-2008, 02:48 PM
that blue bar is basically the drivers loading, If it hangs on that then there is a driver issue someplace.

Try this - with the PC running normally, click start/run type in sfc /scannow Press the enter key, you will get a box pop up that checks your system for missing or damaged files, you may be asked to put in the Windows CD if it finds any thing wrong, so have it handy.

jebby
31-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for that W T, will give it a try & let you know.

wainuitech
31-07-2008, 03:34 PM
if the above doesn't resolve anything, click start/run type in eventvwr - Press enter, have a look at the event logs at the exact time the PC hung, both in application and System, see if you can locate any error logs, double click to open them, and copy/paste the complete error message back here.

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2008, 03:54 PM
I've had a similar prob on this. I found out that it can "hang" on the post screen, (after its detected the hardware etc), or while the splash screen is showing.

I found out what the prob was, in my case. It was the IDE hdd on the secondary IDE connection. It was failing.

Then a few days later on the post screen, a SMART error starting appearing for this hdd, (after it detected it), on the post screen.

Saying just that, it was failing. So, I removed it and chucked it in the bin. It hasnt hung since

jebby
31-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Wainuitech, in the event viewer under System at near enough to the times Win. hangs there are two entrys, always the same two and at the same time, one a warning and one an error, they go back for over two weeks.
Here are the messages, sorry cannot get to copy/paste.

Time: 1:17:20 / Type: warning : Event ID:51 /An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Time: 1:17:20 / Type: Error : Event ID:9 / The device, \Device\Scsi\JRAID2, did not respond within the timeout period

Thanks for that Speedy, I'll keep it in mind although my HDD is only 2mths old but things can happen.

wainuitech
31-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Thats sometimes caused by a faulty connection - as per what speedy said, try changing the SATA lead, make sure you get one that has the metal clips that snap into place, the early ones were just a push fit which quite often come lose and cause all sorts of problems.