PDA

View Full Version : Disk contents disappeared

samnorr
31-07-2008, 02:33 PM
My Windows XP PC has suddenly stopped showing the contents of it's DVD drive. The Autoplay feature still works and it still shows the icon for the disk, but when I open it there is nothing there. It does the same thing for all disks.

Can someone help?

wainuitech
31-07-2008, 02:44 PM
have a read of This article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314060&) - may or may not be of some help.

feersumendjinn
01-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Also possibly defective drive?
Try another.

wainuitech
01-08-2008, 09:02 AM
One way to test if its a software or hardware problem is to put in a XP CD or linux live CD, start the Computer, if it boots and loads as if you are going to install windows (don't worry it wont) because you dont let it get to that stage, then its software.

If it boots Ok then simply hit the reset and restart the PC normally.

jwil1
01-08-2008, 10:02 AM
... if it boots and loads as if you are going to install windows (don't worry it wont) because you dont let it get to that stage, then its software. ....

Yes, but if you can't access the HD through the live CD it could be a dead hard drive.

wainuitech
01-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Read the original post as it was written:thumbs:
My Windows XP PC has suddenly stopped showing the contents of it's DVD drive. Its the contents of a CD/DVD not able to be displayed/read, not the HD itself.

You don't have to have a Hard Drive in the PC to boot from a Live CD, or windows CD, sure it will complain ( XP) that there is no drive, but if the optical drive is working correctly it will read and boot from the CD- which it wont do in windows.

samnorr
01-08-2008, 04:29 PM
have a read of This article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314060&) - may or may not be of some help.

I downloaded and ran the Guided Help on the Microsoft article, and as soon as I restarted the computer, the problem was fixed. Guess it must have been some disk recording software problem.

Thank you very much wainuitech, you've helped me yet again! :)

wainuitech
01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
No Problems - glad to be able to help :thumbs: