PDA

View Full Version : How to get wireless printing?

Strommer
31-07-2008, 01:45 PM
What would I have to do to get wireless printing from a laptop that does not have wireless capability? The laptop is around 6 years old, with WinXP. It is my wife's and we connect it to the broadband using a cable from my desk (modem). The printer is connected to my desktop. My desktop's mb is not wireless capable ASFAIK but I do use a small USB bluetooth external connector to transfer pics and files to and from my cellphone.

We got a cable to connect the laptop to broadband because at the time my wife was not using email much, but now she is. The idea is to get her laptop so that she can connect to the internet and print a document or email - by wireless. There is a possibility that she will upgrade her laptop so that it can play DVD's, but for now I wonder what its going to cost to use the old laptop. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2008, 02:40 PM
The range for bluetooth isnt long enough, (it was made for things that are close to it), and it's not as good as wireless

Only thing you could do, is get wireless adapters for the laptop and desktop.

Just configure both like a LAN. And get adapters that support something better than WEP.

And add a printer, like you would if it were connected by ethernet cable

stormdragon
31-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Something like this (http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?107299) would give you wireless and let you print to a usb printer via the network.

Strommer
01-08-2008, 08:59 AM
The range for bluetooth isnt long enough, (it was made for things that are close to it), and it's not as good as wireless

Only thing you could do, is get wireless adapters for the laptop and desktop.

Just configure both like a LAN. And get adapters that support something better than WEP.

And add a printer, like you would if it were connected by ethernet cable

Thanks Speedy.
What is a "wireless adapter" and how much would it cost?

If my wife gets a new laptop with Vista, would all be OK considering my desktop is XP?

Something like this (http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?107299) would give you wireless and let you print to a usb printer via the network.

Thanks. The wireless router is not as expensive as I thought.
The one you referenced says:
"EZPrint_Share - Built-In Printer Server lets all users share a printer wirelessly"
If I use my desktop and wife's laptop with the wireless router, can the laptop use the printer even when my desktop is not turned on?

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
It depends on where you get the adapter, (and the type you get, USB, PCI, PCMCIA etc) here's some from Dick Smith (http://search.dse.co.nz/search.php?sessionid=4892231307769f3c273fc0a87f3b0 6c4&site=&w=wireless+adapter)

Some are as cheap as $30.00

A wireless adapter will let you use wireless (with one of the above)

stormdragon
01-08-2008, 09:28 AM
"EZPrint_Share - Built-In Printer Server lets all users share a printer wirelessly"
If I use my desktop and wife's laptop with the wireless router, can the laptop use the printer even when my desktop is not turned on?

Yes the printer would be plugged into the router rather then the desktop, so therefore whether the desktop is on or not doesn't matter.

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2008, 09:30 AM
If my wife gets a new laptop with Vista, would all be OK considering my desktop is XP?

Shouldnt be a prob. There's a Vista laptop here with Wireless, and its going through me (XP). And I've also configured it, so it can print wirelessly to this printer.

It can be a bit fiddly configuring Vista to share a folder, if you want to this as well. BUT, it does work

If I use my desktop and wife's laptop with the wireless router, can the laptop use the printer even when my desktop is not turned on

It should work, if it includes a print server (she can print, if yours is off).

Strommer
01-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Some are as cheap as $30.00

Thanks again.

I see that PriceSpy has some USB Wireless Adaptors for less than $20 (although I would want good quality and a decent warranty). Wireless is now looking good and cheaper all up than I expected. The next step is to see if my wife wants a new laptop...

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2008, 10:29 AM
No probs.

Just make sure its secure, and it supports WPA / WPA2+ on both adapters.

meg_h_nz
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I was just logging on to ask a similar question.
I have (after 1 hour with customer support) set up our Belkin wireless router. We had a D-Link wireless that our kids used to connect their PSPs to the internet but when I bought the new laptop I decided to up grade the router as we will eventually have 2 laptops and 2 PSPs on line and we needed to upgrade. (at present we have 1 laptop and 1 desktop- wired and 2 PSPs)
With the new set up I bought a net workable printer as I was told that I could simply plug the printer into the router (in place of the desktop) and we would have wireless printing. After the performance of setting up the router this morning I am worried about setting up the printer.
Any advice?
Thanks
meg

meg_h_nz
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread just figured it was a similar problem.

Meg

Speedy Gonzales
01-08-2008, 11:24 AM
If the printer has a network connection, you could just plug it into a spare port on the router (if its got more than 1 port).

I dont think it really matters, whether the printer is parallel, USB, network capable or wireless. You can still print to it wirelessly.

I've had a parallel printer and at the mo a USB printer.

And I've printed to both wirelessly from laptops with wireless.

Share the printer on the main PC first. Go to printers on the main PC / right mouse / properties / sharing. Tick share this printer. Take note of the name that appears you'll need it for the networked PC/s.

Go to printers / add printer / next, a network printer, next. On the network PC's.

Connect to this printer. Type in something like \\name of desktop with printer\name of printer (the name that appeared, when you clicked on share this printer, on the PC with the printer).

Thats it, it should print to the printer wirelessly.

Strommer
04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Speedy, Stormdragon, and anyone else, please have a look at the following and check that the items are the right kind. I want to make sure its right before I order. Thanks.

SWMBO likes the idea of going wireless so I am ready to place an order.

Stormdragon's suggestion of this wireless printer-capable router looks good: http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?107299
It is $83 - price includes GST.

I will also need to order two wireless USB adaptors (one for wife's laptop and one for my desktop). QMB has this for $39 http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?106834

QMB's total shipping charge is $13 which seems OK.
All up cost is about $177.

PCPop has these items:
http://www.pcpop.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=1032&page=1&cid=&bid=&sid=&rote=2
- and -
http://www.pcpop.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=1002

- I don't know about this company but the total price is $144, saving $33.

If you know of a better deal, let me know. ;)

Strommer
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Can someone have a look at the items above (QMB, PCPop url's) to confirm that this is what will work for our set up? Thanks.

And does anyone know about PCPop? http://www.pcpop.co.nz/shop/main/main.asp

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2008, 01:01 PM
What kind of modem are you using now??

Does it have ports for this router, (so you can plug it in)?

If it's got ports, it and the USB adapter should be fine

Never heard of PCpop.

You'll only need 1 USB adapter as this router should act as the access point for it, for the desktop.

Once you plug it in and configure it

Strommer
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM

Never heard of PCpop.

You'll only need 1 USB adapter as this router should act as the access point for it, for the desktop.

The router I am using is a 4 port Dynalink RTA1335. One port to my desktop, one to the laptop, and two free.

What I need is for my wife to use my printer from her laptop, without having to connect using a cable. Putting one USB adapter into one of the free ports will not work, will it?

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Putting one USB adapter into one of the free ports will not work, will it?

Yup it should, After you configure it and the router.

Just make sure she stays within range. (She can only go so far). Or else she'll lose the connection between her and the router.

Strommer
05-08-2008, 08:24 PM
But the printer is not plugged into the router so how could it work?
She needs to use the printer even if my desktop is off.

Stormdragon's post #3 is about a wireless router that allows for printing. Isn't this what I need?

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Well the printer will be plugged into the router, since its got USB on it

According to the ASUS site (http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=43&l3=0&l4=0&model=1671&modelmenu=1)

As it says on the above site

Shares printer for multiple users without buying a printer server .

I take it that means it'll work even if yours is off

Yer thats the router I'm talking about, the one above

You still have to configure it, so whatever is wireless can connect to it, and use it

stormdragon
05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah mate if you get the router and adaptor specified you should have yourself a nice little wireless network. The wireless router simply need to be plugged into your ADSL router via the WAN port on wireless and an LAN port on existing router to enable you to access the internet.

Are you planning on making to desktop wireless also or leaving it hard-wired? (You've probably said and I've missed it.)

The printer is plugged directly into the router via USB therefore there is no host computer that must be on in order to print.

Just one thing to be aware off that I should have mentioned earlier is that if you have a multifunction printer this print server only supports printing not scanning.

Strommer
05-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Never heard of PCpop.

Probably a misunderstanding here - I thought you meant that I could use my current (wired) 4 port router with a USB adapter so that my wife's laptop could use the printer on its own. Now I see you mean the ASUS wireless router.

Stormdragon - With a wireless router I thought that I would have to make my desktop wireless rather than wired, or am I missing something here?

So it looks like I'll give PCPop a try since their price looks good. Getting 2 USB Adapters and one wireless router for $144.

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
You could use wireless adapters on both, but youre right you would have to leave yours on so the wife can print

Since the router is wireless it'll act as the wireless (which will save you buying an adapter for it), for the desktop and will act as the access point for the USB adapter on the wife's laptop.

Thats the point of the router having wireless. You can connect wirelessly or by ethernet.

But the ASUS looks like a router ONLY. Not a modem. So, you'll have to keep the modem you've got, to connect to the net.

If you dont want to use the modem you've got, you would have to buy a modem/wireless router

Strommer
06-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Speedy. For some reason I thouht the ASUS Wireless Router included internet connection. So I guess my present Dynalink unit that came with my Slingshot set up would be termed a "broadband modem" and not a router - correct?

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 09:16 AM
If the modem you've got now, gets you on the net its a modem.

If its got ethernet ports and you can login to it, its also a router.

But the router by the sounds of it doesnt include wireless

Thats the difference between yours and the ASUS.

Yours has everything but the wireless. The ASUS has the wireless but not the modem, to connect to the internet.

Which is pretty much useless. No point getting the ASUS, if you can't get on the internet with it. (since it hasnt got a modem in it)

You would have to plug the router into the modem you're using (which can be tricky to configure sometimes), to get onto the net

Strommer
06-08-2008, 12:08 PM
If the modem you've got now, gets you on the net its a modem.

If its got ethernet ports and you can login to it, its also a router.

But the router by the sounds of it doesnt include wireless

Thats the difference between yours and the ASUS.

Yours has everything but the wireless. The ASUS has the wireless but not the modem, to connect to the internet.

Which is pretty much useless. No point getting the ASUS, if you can't get on the internet with it. (since it hasnt got a modem in it)

You would have to plug the router into the modem you're using (which can be tricky to configure sometimes), to get onto the net

If its going to be problematical to connect the new wireless router to my present broadband modem, it would seem that I should get a wireless broadband router/modem, but they are pricey, such as this one for about $240:

http://pcpacific.net/product_info.php?products_id=3507

Or maybe I should get a wireless router at DSE's so I can easily return it if it does not work.

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Thats because its wireless N. Wireless N is expensive.

But then you'll have to get a wireless N USB adapter for the laptop.

To use its full speed

Which will probably cost another $180

There is nothing wrong with Wireless G modem / wireless routers, like

This (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4898e40e0b472b2a273fc0a87f3b06b1/Product/View/XH6221)

Mines similar to this, but it wasnt from DSE

There's probably something cheaper, somewhere else.

Altho this doesnt inc a print server.

stormdragon
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM
You could use wireless adapters on both, but youre right you would have to leave yours on so the wife can print

Why? The router that both Steve and I linked to includes a print server therefore no computer except that which is executing the print needs to be on.

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I know that, but like I said its only a router, he'll have to plug it into the modem to get onto the net

And the threads in here (on how to configure a separate router and modem, I dont think anyone figured out how to do it).

They probably purchased a modem / wireless router in 1

I didnt say he had to get 2 adapters, that was if he got 2 which he said he was going to get.

As Steve said

So it looks like I'll give PCPop a try since their price looks good. Getting 2 USB Adapters and one wireless router for $144.

stormdragon
06-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Ok I'm getting a bit lost as to who said what, about what.

Basically Steve:

If you buy the previously mentioned router.

You will still be able to plug your desktop in via Ethernet (Wired Connection), therefore you will only require one wireless adaptor (for laptop).

You will be able to print without a host computer as everything is managed by the print server.

You will still need your existing adsl modem/router to connect to the internet.

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Thats correct.

He'll have to keep the modem he's got now if he wants whatever to get onto the internet.

Unless he buys another modem / wireless router in 1 (with or without the print server)

I wouldnt bother with Wireless N unless you've got money to burn.

Strommer
06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys. DSE does not have a wireless router for at a good price so I will go with one mentioned above, in post #13 - but only if they will allow a return + refund if I cannot get it to work with my Dynalink modem. I will let you know what happens - next week I guess.