PDA

View Full Version : Excel not saving network shared document

DaveBritton
31-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Hello again guys, been a while since I've posted.

I'll outline the situation. We have a master price list for all of the products we sell, this is in an excel document that has some macro's and stuff to help with creating new entries etc. This document is a shared document saved to one of our servers, in a write protected folder. Only 2 people have write access to that folder.

About a week ago, the list wouldn't save, so I looked to see if I could access the folder where it is saved assuming the server had gone down, but no, the file had been deleted. The most recent backup we had was two days previous, and lots of work had been done in those 2 days, so I ran some file recovery software. It appeared as if the file was never there or someone had deleted it and overwritten it on purpose.

So we restored the 2 day old backup and things were back to normal, for 2 days, then it happened again. So we restored it again from a backup only a couple of hours old. This all happened last week, but now things are happening again. The file is still there, but it is saying that it cannot save the document.

We have not had any other problems with the server recently, and we have tried creating an empty document and pasting all the data into that, but still no cigar. I am just about to run an adware/spyware scan as well as a virus scan, but I doubt it will be the cause of the problem.

The machines are running Office 2000 on Windows XP SP2, the server is NT.

Thanks for any suggestions, Dave.

pctek
31-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I am just about to run an adware/spyware scan as well as a virus scan, but I doubt it will be the cause of the problem.

Check the HDD itself too after that.
Interrogate those with access also.

beeswax34
31-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Does Office 2000 have Trust Centre settings? If it does, you might want to check those.

Does this help?: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Excel-1059/saving-files.htm