PDA

View Full Version : Password woes

pcuser42
30-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Before I start, I'm NOT trying to gain unauthorised access to this computer.

Someone changed the password on my friend's laptop, and he cannot access his own account. I tried cracking the password using Ophcrack and something else (can't remember the name), and neither program worked.

So the question is how can I crack the password (Windows Vista Home Basic)? I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Windows.

(Sometimes Vista's security is a bad thing. :badpc:)

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Try this (http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/)

pcuser42
30-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I tried that. It's the one I forgot the name of. :p (It only mounted the drive as read-only. Its suggestion to boot into Safe Mode twice didn't work either.)

Anything else?

feersumendjinn
30-07-2008, 05:31 PM
How 'bout this (http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305), you'll need the os cd and its product key :)

feersumendjinn
30-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Sorry, just noticed you have Vista, may not work (worth a try tho!)

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Go to UltimateBoot CD 4 Windows (http://www.ubcd4win.com/), download the program - its well worth the time it takes to make this CD, can do MANY options/ operations on a Damaged or or wise locked out PC.

Install on a working XP PC, you may need your XP CD as well, create the bootable CD - once made --- on the VISTA PC Boot from the CD ( takes a few minutes), when the Start Shell log in appears either click Start Shell, or leave it alone and it will auto boot. When network Support appears click No,(unless you want network support for some reason)

Once loaded, it will give you a windows interface, click start/programs/ Password tools/ NTPWedit as shown here in this Picture (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Password1217394128.jpg) When the next window opens click the REOPEN button - Select your account, click change password, type in a new password. Click OK.

Now click the start button again, click turn off computer, from the drop down box select restart and eject, the PC will eject the CD, reboot, then log in using the new password you just created.

Easy eh!

pcuser42
30-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I'll try that, and get back to you. (A second PC with XP comes in handy! :D)

gary67
30-07-2008, 06:22 PM

This normally works for Vista I have used it a couple of times now

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Edit to post #6 - once you have change the password,

click OK, then Exit - you will get a prompt to save the changes, click yes - then reboot as normal

pcuser42
30-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I tried the UBCD4W and it just comes up with a black screen after the Windows logo. :( What's wrong?

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 07:57 PM
How long did you leave it - it can take several minutes as it has to detect all the hardware.

Edited, just retried it... From pressing boot, took 1 minute 55 seconds on Now loading ........

From Windows XP boot logo - took another 2.15 Minutes to get to the load shell. (black screen)

When its got the black screen can you hear or see the CD reading in the drive.

One thing I found ( only just remembered sorry - but I have always used the option to make a ISO , then burn that using an ISO burner in your CD writing program - from memory it failed once when I did a direct burn after downloading and running.

If you did a direct burn, have a look in the folder it unpacked to and see if it has a ISO file and use that to make another CD.

pcuser42
30-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Only a few minutes, I'll leave it alone and watch TV, then come back. :)

pcuser42
30-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I can't hear the CD in the drive on the black screen. :(

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Oops double posted :(

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Did you select the option to do a direct burn when making the Cd or make the image first. ( as per post above) - try the CD on another PC as well to check if its a faulty burn.

When you installed/ made the CD did it automatically locate the i386 folder, or did you have to copy the contents of the XP CD to the drive.

pcuser42
30-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I tried it on my computer, and it comes up with the error:

STOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image ntvdm.exe is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

I take it it's a bad burn?

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I tried it on my computer, and it comes up with the error:

I take it it's a bad burn? Yep sounds like it - make an ISO file you can open (from memory) the program from the program list - or by default its located on the C: drive. in the folder, something like UBCD --- the ISO file I have is called UBCD4WinBuilder.iso and is around 600Mb.

Make another CD, and burn at the slowest speed it will go.

Just out of interest - I copied the whole XP CD to the C: drive so it could locate the i386 files / folder it needs.

B.M.
31-07-2008, 07:35 AM

Ok, what am I doing wrong? :blush:

Iíve downloaded this file and it comes down as phpBB 2.0.1.5.zip. (3.16MB)

I unzip it to a folder and I have one file named cdo8o526.iso (3634Kb)

I burn the iso file to a disk but nothing recognises the file and it doesnít boot.

There is something about burning these iso files that Iíve come unstuck on before. Just canít remember what.

Anyone turn me around and point me in the right direction? :thanks

gary67
31-07-2008, 07:37 AM
What program are you using to burn the iso it has to be something that can do them?

B.M.
31-07-2008, 07:42 AM
What program are you using to burn the iso it has to be something that can do them?

I've tried both CDBurnerXP Pro 3 which I usually use and NERO Express 6.6.

Both produced the same result. :confused:

pcuser42
31-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I burned the ISO again, and the same thing happened. :( Rather than try again, what else could I use?

wainuitech
31-07-2008, 06:34 PM
There must be something wrong with the download, I have used it twice today on Vista PC's one basic and One ultimate, Not for password related, but other functions - worked perfectly each time.:confused:

Edit: just going to downland it again and see whats up --- Downloading from Mirror 10 / Softpedia 239Mb Zipped file.

wainuitech
31-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Oaky - just finished downloading and making another boot CD, downloaded from Mirror 10 ( shouldn't matter which One) copied the complete XP SP2 CD to a folder on the XP computer, made the bootable CD and booted right into Vista.

I MAY have found your problem though - I did see briefly ( this is a newer Version) a message flash across the screen saying press F6 to install a Third party Driver ----- depending on the Motherboard in the PC, you may need the SATA drivers for that board, should be available from the manufactures web site.

Now I will need confirmation on this --- You can also boot into the PC's Bios, select the drive and change it to read as IDE, try the boot CD again.

Maybe Speedy or someone can confirm the exact wording.

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Are we talking about changing SATA ACHI mode to IDE mode, in the BIOS?

For SATA hdd's?

I've never had to do this myself, (or had to use RAID drivers to install Windows).

So I've never really seen the option in any of the BIOS'es / systems I've used / seen / built.

I dont think this option is where you select the boot disk, its in another screen, in the BIOS

Just checked the mobo manual, for a system I'm making, the options for RAID controller / IDE controller for SATA

Are under South Onchip PCI device, or it maybe called Onchip PCI device?

That sound like the same thing as this prob??

wainuitech
31-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks Speedy, if I could see the options I may have gotten the directions right first time, That's about the only reason I can honestly think of as to why the UBCD wont boot correctly.

As mentioned earlier - booted into two vista machines today with no problems at all.

The only other time I have had one not boot was when there as a problem with the optical drive not reading the CD correctly - faulty drive.

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2008, 10:00 PM
No probs :)

It'll probably better to find out what the brand/model of this mobo is

And download the manual.