PDA

View Full Version : dial up monitor

drcspy
30-07-2008, 08:56 AM
does anyone have a reccomendation for a dialup monitor program

I have a pc here that keeps dropping offline and I want to record/log the connection duration and times.......

I'll set the system to 'redial if connection is dropped' and I want the app to simply record:

how many times the pc dialled up
how long it stayed online each time

and of course the app must be free as this is just a one time thing

wratterus
30-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Sorry no suggestions for a program, but have you tried putting an initialization string into the modem to force it to connect slower? I find that helps a lot, especially if the modem in question is newish (laptops especially).

Safari
30-07-2008, 10:07 AM
And isolate extension leads, double adapters and sky digital phone line.

Most disconnects are due to phone line issues and as wratterus suggested a string is useful to overcome these sort of problems.

Try +MS=V90 first and if no improvement come down to V34
Make sure you set the port speed to 57600 if you add a string as it does make a difference.

joshjnz
30-07-2008, 11:40 AM
When I first read the title I thought "why would you want your monitor to dial up? enhanced brightness settings?"

wratterus
30-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Try +MS=V90 first and if no improvement come down to V34
Make sure you set the port speed to 57600 if you add a string as it does make a difference.

If +MS=V90 and +MS=V34 don't work, try +MS=11,0

drcspy
30-07-2008, 01:04 PM
well it's a brand new lappy and as for initialisation strings shouldn't really need it eh...........

and as for connections etc it's been tried at at least two locations and does the same thing........

anyway i've whittled the odds down to it being the provider .........thanks anyway folks

wratterus
30-07-2008, 01:08 PM
well it's a brand new lappy and as for initialisation strings shouldn't really need it eh...........

Ive found new modems, especially in laptops, tend to be very sensitive to noise on the line, much more so than older modems.

It doesn't cost anything to try slowing it down, and you normally get a more steady connection.

drcspy
30-07-2008, 01:18 PM
yeh I'm aware of those factors.........

I've also done a very simple test by putting my xtra connection on it instead of the clients maxnet connection.......it stayed on xtra quite happily....

so..

what I was after was an app to record the connection/re-connection issue so that I could document it.......anyway problem now gone away as lappy back with owner.......

thanks

Safari
30-07-2008, 01:33 PM
yeh I'm aware of those factors.........

I've also done a very simple test by putting my xtra connection on it instead of the clients maxnet connection.......it stayed on xtra quite happily....

so..

what I was after was an app to record the connection/re-connection issue so that I could document it.......anyway problem now gone away as lappy back with owner.......

thanks

That does not prove anything, not all ISP have the same type of equipment and modems and some new computers actually need a string to connect to some ISPs even though they may connect to another ISP ok.