PDA

View Full Version : No Sound.

Poppa John
29-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi All...I dont know what has happened but I have no sound from the speakers.

I looked in control panel, Sounds etc & saw that I had NO audio Devices.

Where do I go fron Here? Thanks PJ

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Did you reinstall Windows??

If you did, you have to reinstall the drivers

Poppa John
29-07-2008, 11:00 PM
No. I haven't done anything. PJ

Well, that I know of!!!!!

Metla
29-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Interesting....

Did I give you the driver cd?

Poppa John
29-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Interesting....

Did I give you the driver cd?

EH??

M2 Has been locking up now & again recently. Thought that was just me! PJ

wainuitech
29-07-2008, 11:23 PM
This may be of no help - but I have a customer with the same problem, the PC did have sound when it was here at my place today, took it back and it had sound when I left, 30 minutes later he rang to say no sound - suddenly stopped while playing a music CD, gave instructions and checked via the phone, no audio devices under sounds/Audio Tab.

Now heres the worst part - the ethernet port which is directly above the audio jacks died, a test with a linux CD and Ultimate boot Cd did not detect any Ethernet connection, installed a ethernet card - LAN now works.

How I will be testing the audio is the same way - load a Linux CD, that should load any default audio drivers - if it doesn't detect - could be another component failed.

With your problem I would try reinstalling the drivers again first.

Also look in device manager, - right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware Tab / Device manager - Expand the Sound, Video and Game controllers - look to see if the audio is there or a yellow ! mark ( customer did this - no sign of audio, in his case realtek)

Try a linux Live CD (ubuntu etc) if you have one, it will load default drivers and will test the hardware.

Poppa John
29-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Metla. I got the MB CD & a Super software Library CD. PJ

Poppa John
29-07-2008, 11:30 PM
W...No Device Manager under Hardware tab. PJ

wainuitech
29-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Is the Device manger not showing as pictured Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Not_showing.jpg)

Poppa John
29-07-2008, 11:39 PM
W..I was in the wrong place.

? (in yellow) Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus.

Error??? PJ

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Try reinstalling the audio Drivers.

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 10:22 AM
I did. The Yellow ? asked for the CD. I put it in & it started searching. Then, part way thru, the comp locked up. I had to turn it off at the Tin Box. PJ

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Other than the CD, where do you recommend I look for the Drivers? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Does the cd bring up a menu with what you can install??

When you put it in the cd? If it does, if there's an option to install the audio drivers, click on it

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Had a look, nothing specific.

There is no Sound device showing, Is that a physical thing or software? PJ

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, if you've got the MB cd, it should have the LAN / Audio / chipset drivers etc on it.

It wont show an audio device on the cd install, it'll say something like install Soundmax drivers or audio drivers on it. Its software (to install the drivers) not hardware

If there's no menu on the cd, (its an odd MB cd if it doesnt have a menu), open it in my computer and see what folders are on it. And look for an audio folder and an exe file in that folder. Run it

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I DO have the MB CD, I thought you meant the OS CD. Shall I put that one in? PJ

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I am going to have to stop here. This is getting too involved for me. The computer is only two months old. I don't want to get myself into trouble.

So, Thanks guys for your help. PJ :confused: :badpc:

But still :) :) :)

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I DO have the MB CD, I thought you meant the OS CD. Shall I put that one in? PJ

Yup the OS CD WONT have the drivers for it. The MB CD will.

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks Speedy. I have to stop Tho'. If I stuff things up, the big guy over the road will growl at me !!!!! PJ

Metla
30-07-2008, 08:07 PM
well, You can't go to far wrong, Go into the device manager, right click the offending item, select delete, reboot, tell me what happens.

If delete isn't an option, select uninstall.

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 08:25 PM
well, You can't go to far wrong, Go into the device manager, right click the offending item, select delete, reboot, tell me what happens.

If delete isn't an option, select uninstall.

I get the ...Welcome to the Found new Hardware Wizard.

Yellow ? Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus. PJ

Metla
30-07-2008, 08:31 PM
That's a good enough start :)

Run the driver CD again, select whatever option looks like the audio driver and see what happens.

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Sometimes the Motherboard CD wont auto run if some of the drivers are already loaded.

if thats the case, with the CD in the drive, double click My computer, the CD should be showing in the CD Icon, right click it and see if there is an option to select Autoplay, if there is, click that and the menu should appear, then select the Audio drivers, and they should reinstall.

Edited: the other option - What is the make and model of the motherboard ?

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Put the MB CD into the drive & the computer immediately locked up. Had to reboot with the disc out. PJ

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Hmmmm - Sounds ( no pun intended) there may be a driver issue - try this - reboot the PC in safe mode, keep tapping F8 on start up, select Safe mode with the arrow keys.

Once booted, try putting the Driver CD back in the Drive - see if it locks up, not going to install in safe mode, only checking if there is a driver problem.

If it does or doesn't lock up reboot normally and let us know the result.

Edited: DO THIS FIRST - one thing else to try - once its booted normally, put the Driver CD in the Drive, at the same time hold down the SHIFT key for a few moments, this will stop the Autorun - as long as its not locked up, open My computer and see if you can right click/ Explore the CD's contents without it locking.

Metla
30-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Bummer.

What is the model of motherboard?, it should say on the CD.

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 09:03 PM
W...Can you hang fire for a moment, please. PJ

M...ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus Series. PJ

Metla
30-07-2008, 09:09 PM
download, unzip, install.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/Realtek_Audio_V51005490_incl2k03.zip

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 09:26 PM
M...Driver, Hotfix, Nohotfix, Asussetup, Asussetup.ini, Hotfix.txt.

Which one? PJ

Metla
30-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Downloading now, I'll have a look in the package.

Metla
30-07-2008, 09:47 PM
AsusSetup.exe

Do you have extensions set to be displayed?

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 09:53 PM
:thanks :thumbs: :clap

Audio-Driver-Setup.exe

Brilliant, Thankyou.

Also Thankyou to everybody else.

Now I ask myself, What happened to lose the Driver!! PJ

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Thankyou All for being so patient with me. PJ

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 09:57 PM
:thanks :thumbs: :clap

Audio-Driver-Setup.exe

Brilliant, Thankyou.

Also Thankyou to everybody else.

Now I ask myself, What happened to lose the Driver!! PJ

One word Answer ------ WINDOWS !

Sometimes things " just happen"

kolb
30-07-2008, 10:01 PM
d/l http://www.filehippo.com/download_everest_home/ install then go/motherboard/chipset/driver download /click on the link to d/l the mobo chipset drivers...once site is open tick have accepted the above/i agree/
click on your O/S click on the AUDIO driver for sound/then select using the mobo identification information from everest for the right drivers offered/GO/choose location Aussie/Download now /save then install...

Poppa John
30-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes, but knowing meee..... PJ

kolb
30-07-2008, 10:02 PM
oops my apology didn't see it was fixed ...

Metla
30-07-2008, 10:53 PM
A Microsoft Random act of inconvenience (Patent pending).

Hopefully.