PDA

View Full Version : RDP client over D-Link 504T

SolMiester
29-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi all, does anyone have the RDP remote desktop protocol running successfully over the D-Link routers given out by Telecom....?

Did you have to manually add the port and app and enable?...

I ask because I have remote using wishing to use their broadband to connect to work servers, and most other routers work but the Telecom D-Links

ta

CYaBro
29-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Are they connecting to a VPN first?
Not very secure to have the RDP port 3389 open to the internet.
But yes you have to do a port forward or virtual server of port 3389 to the IP of the machine you want to connect to.
If you need to connect to more than one machine then it gets trickier as you can only port forward a certain port to a single machine.

SolMiester
29-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi mate, yeah, VPN tunnel authenticates 1st junipter, the tunnel is successfully created, however the d-link doesnt seem to pass the client or perhaps the port thru?....I thought the port forwarding was only for inbound request, the request is coming from inside the LAN.....the virtual server setting have heaps of apps etc and i enabled several, didnt see 3389 RDP, so guessing i have to manually create the app and port settings!

Linksys, 3com, and various other routers ALL work perfectly without any router setting having to be made.....

Just that its a common protocol, i'll see what happens after I add the port, however i'm not sure the above will work!...

SolMiester
30-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Whats the Port Map setting?...got port start and stop but map?

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2008, 09:30 AM
The port start / port end, port map and port map end are all the same

So, if youre putting 3389 in port start / end put it in port map start and port map end as well.

You may have to give the PC's a static ip as well, for it to work

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2008, 10:11 AM
the virtual server setting have heaps of apps etc and i enabled several, didnt see 3389 RDP, so guessing i have to manually create the app and port settings!

If the virtual server has a user option, click on it and put it in here

But to save the trouble, I would use something like Crossloop. You dont have to add anything to a router. But both ends, will have to install it

SolMiester
30-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I think everyone is forgetting this is a request to a terminal server from inside the LAN.....I cant understand why I have to port forward when that is usually from requests outside the LAN to the routers external address to port forward to the PC on the LAN..??

SolMiester
30-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Okay, tried adding 3389 port manually, no change, these D-Link's are a POS!!

New router for the user required.

wratterus
30-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Okay, tried adding 3389 port manually, no change, these D-Link's are a POS!!

New router for the user required.

Compared to the new thompsons, the DLinks are magnificent! :(

SolMiester
30-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Really, well the RDP client works over the Thompsons!

wratterus
30-07-2008, 01:36 PM
:eek:

:stare:

:badpc:

/hides in corner.

nofam
30-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Sorry if I'm suggesting the bleedin' obvious Sol, but have you checked to make sure the firmware isn't backlevelled on it?

:confused:

SolMiester
30-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry if I'm suggesting the bleedin' obvious Sol, but have you checked to make sure the firmware isn't backlevelled on it?

:confused:

dont know what that is mate?, please explain!

nofam
30-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I just meant the firmware on the router - it's possible that the latest version from D-Link's website might fix your issue?

And what VPN protocol are you using? IPSEC etc?

It's worth a shot! :thumbs:

SolMiester
30-07-2008, 03:12 PM
LOL, I tried with the 1st telecom d-link i got, think it was the 302, turned it into a brick!.....

Using ipass with Juniper Netscreen remote thru Telecom radius to our own radius server.

Do you have a link for the D-Link firmware, we can have a go, just hope it does stuff their router is all....

I have always though they had bespoke software running on those units due to the fact they have install CD's to set the user accounts etc....

nofam
30-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Sweet - this is off their site too, for setting up a VPN Passthrough - might be something use in it:

Note that this router is not a VPN router, it can not establish VPN tunnels. It can only pass VPN traffic through. Normally you do not have to set anything up in the router in regards to VPN passthrough.

Log into the router and under Advanced > Firewall disable IKE service filtering (IKE from External Network).

It may happen that your VPN application requires certain ports to be opened in the router. You can do it under Advanced > Port Forwarding. In most cases it is 1723 TCP or 500 UDP. If you do not know which ports to open you can enable DMZ and it will pass all the traffic through to the specified private IP address.

How to open ports:

Step 1 Open your web browser and enter the IP address of the router (10.1.1.1). Enter user name (admin) and your password (admin).

Step 2 Add LAN Client (Workstation) into the router before you can open any ports. Go to Advanced > LAN Clients. Type in the IP address of the Workstation (e.g. 10.1.1.3). You can specify the name of this workstation under Host Name (optional). Click Add and then Apply.

Step 3 Go to Advanced > Virtual Server (Port Forwarding). Under 'LAN IP' select your LAN Client (which you added in Step 2). This is the computer where the VPN traffic will be redirected to.

Step 4 Under 'Category' select 'VPN' by clicking the tick box (radio button).

Step 5 Under 'Available Rules' dialog box, click on the 'IPSEC L2TP' or 'PPTP', depending on what VPN protocol you are using. Click the Add button.
Then click on the Apply button.

Step 6 To save the new settings into the router's memory go to Tools > (System) > Save & Reboot. Click on Save & Reboot button. The router will save the settings and restart.

Because our routers use NAT (Network Address Translation), you can only open a specific port to one computer at a time.

Note that the computer/device you are opening ports for should have static IP:
Under Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet protocol TCP/IP > Properties:
IP address: 10.1.1.3
Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
Gateway: 10.1.1.1
DNS: 202.129.64.198 (or whichever your provider is using)

Check if your VPN software requires any adjustments when used with NAT device (firewall).

Make sure that private IP addresses on your network are all on different subnets compared to the remote network you are connecting to.

This (http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DSL-504T_NZ&revision=REV_A&filetype=Firmware) is for the 504T Rev A unit - you'll need to make sure your unit isn't a Rev B before applying it.

This (ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-504T_NZ/REV_A/SetupGuides/How_to_Open_Ports_in_DSL-xxxT_FW_v2.x.pdf) might also be of use??

SolMiester
30-07-2008, 03:52 PM
??, well, strange thing is.....i didnt need to enable PPP or L2TP in order to get the VPN to create tunnel, I know its there because ipconfig shows me the tunnel with an address range on our network along with the NIC LAN address.
I did enable them but no difference.
I also IKE from External Network, no difference......
The only thing i didnt try was the UDP port of 500, and but did forward 3389 for MS RDP.

I am slightly confused with the need to port forward though, as surely forwarding is for requests on the www incoming to your routers external address to be forwarded to the internal PC......I havent done much remote support into user home LAN before...its all into our WAN.

However none of the above has worked.....I might see if someone who has a working router will donate their dlink for testing.....

thanks nofam.....

CYaBro
30-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Yea you are right Sol you don't need to open or forward any other ports if you are connecting to the local LAN via a VPN already.
You are basically on the local network and not coming in from the internet with the RDP seasion.
There may be something else you need to do on the VPN appliance though but I've never had anything to do with Juniper before.
Are you able to ping any local machines once connected to the VPN?
And yes, I have a couple of clients who use RDP on the dlink routers. Also UltraVNC.

SolMiester
30-07-2008, 05:34 PM
CYAbro, this isnt a juniper vpn, but uses their netscreen remote...now i cant ping once we have our vpn created because the pix firewall has a rule to stop pinging getting thru, however i can get a response from mapping a drive to the server, so there is proof of the tunnel.....

I just cant get the remote desktop connection to connect!!$#@!#%@.....You dont have to do anything difference with say a linksys, 3 com, thompson router, in fact it is so easy, i can connect in about 10sec flat!!

For some reason, even when we used to disconnect from the ISP and then connect directly to our radius server, the damn d-links wouldnt work...i was hoping the VPN tunnel software would allow us to circumvent the crippled d-links!!!

I wonder if those d-link are Telecom jobbies, or purchased from retailers?

I have found a great program that lets me bundle XP onto a USB device pre-configured for our staff to use for safe remote access from any internet connected PC, but these damn router have thrown a spanner in the works??<sniff>

SolMiester
31-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Cant you believe it, created a Virtual XP PC with the VPN software etc....plugged it in to the smae PC with the D-Link router and it worked!!

CYaBro
31-07-2008, 03:38 PM
And that's why we love computers :lol: :lol:

chiefnz
31-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Well just scanned through the postings but the most important thing to do 1st with RDP is to ensure that you have enabled Remote Desktop by right clicking on My Computer--->Properties--->Remote and checking the Remote Desktop option, without this no router configuration is going to work.

Cheers,

SolMiester
01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Well just scanned through the postings but the most important thing to do 1st with RDP is to ensure that you have enabled Remote Desktop by right clicking on My Computer--->Properties--->Remote and checking the Remote Desktop option, without this no router configuration is going to work.

Cheers,

Yeah, thanks Chief, however we are talking Terminal Server, not remote control of a workstation....

cheers anyway mate....

All good now, I can go to the boss with a really cheap DR solution, and remote connectivity on a USB staick....LOL, oooo, gotta get a good bonus for this...hehe