PDA

View Full Version : Spyware

kennybouy
29-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I run Avast anti virus but have no anti spyware software running on my win XP Lap top. Should I have some sort of anti spyware running?....and if so..which one? And are there any good free one's out there? Thanks...

wratterus
29-07-2008, 12:07 PM
It's the ANTI spyware you want running, not the spyware. ;)

SUPERAntiSpyware is good for a live monitoring program, and Spybot Search and Destroy does well at cleaning the mess up after it's got onto your PC.

If you install Spybot, make absolutely sure you untick the options for SDHelper and TeaTimer during the install, they slow down the PC and cause problems.

Both those programs are free.

pctek
29-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Should I have some sort of anti spyware running?

One antivirus
One 3rd party firewall
3 antispywares

Superantispyware
Spybot (without teatimer)
Spyware Terminator

are all free or have free versions

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 12:46 PM
The latest version of Avast incudes Anti-spyware, and Anti-rootkit

kennybouy
29-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Speedy...in your opinion, all I need is the Avast free anti soft ware?

wainuitech
29-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't trust on only 1 Antispyware - No One will catch every thing.

The suggestion Pctek made in post #3 is a very good setup.

Eg: Customer I went to today, had Spybot only, said it was clean, installed and ran Spyware terminator - located and removed 21 more.

Vince
30-07-2008, 08:53 AM
If you install Spybot, make absolutely sure you untick the options for SDHelper and TeaTimer during the install, they slow down the PC and cause problems.

Are you sure that the problems you refer to aren't related to other software you have installed?

I have been running SD Helper and TeaTimer for years without any problems. Itunes slowed my computer much more, so did Norton software.:)

pctek
30-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Teatimer is Ok, SPyware Terminator has a similar thing, in fact theres loads of those type of things, they can be a bit annoying is all...............So I skip it.