PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Broadband Experts

i-gordon
29-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I have 4 computers on my home network, only 1 is on 24/7. 1 is used most of the day, the other 2 only a few hours a week. My average use acording to Orcon is 1.33Gbs/day. I have TautologyBB Bandwidth Meter running on all computers and after checking over several months I only seem to be averaging about 1Gb/day. I understand there is overhead/lost packets etc. but the difference appears to be far too big. Can anybody explain this for me.

My Router is a Netgear DG834G. The 2 most used computers are WindowsXP. 1 is Puppy Linux. The other is a laptop on Win2000Pro with a wireless conection.
Thanks
Ian

wratterus
29-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Was tautology monitoring both downloads and uploads?

jwil1
29-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Is the router's wireless signal secured with WPA?

i-gordon
29-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Was tautology monitoring both downloads and uploads?

Yes

i-gordon
29-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Is the router's wireless signal secured with WPA?

Yes. All Secure

If somebody was leeching my bandwidth, they must be doing it very smartly to be so consistant.

jwil1
29-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Do you have a firewall blocking outgoing connections??

Have you looked at your ISP's usage meter??

i-gordon
29-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Do you have a firewall blocking outgoing connections??

Have you looked at your ISP's usage meter??

I use Comodo Firewall which blocks all unnecessary outgoing conections. Tautology would record all in & out connections anyway.

My ISP is Orcon and that what this thread is about. I think their usage meter is wrong and I am being charged for more bandwidth than I am using. However I am open minded about that until I get some expert advice.
Ian

i-gordon
30-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Bump

Must be someone with a few possible answers before I ring Orcon??

Geek4414
30-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Just read this from another forum ... (Not sure if it is true)

"Tautology meter, programmer does notguarantee accurate readings.
Click "About' of the application. The only "Accurate" Usage meter is the one your ISP uses ."

http://broadbandforum.in/bsnl-broadband/24248-doubt-about-tautology-bandwidth-meter-v1-5-a/

Does your router has the stats for the connection? My 3Com router shows the received and transmitted bytes for the current session under the ADSL status page.

beeswax34
30-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I've run Tautology Bandwidth Meter and it has ALWAYS been accurate. My ISP's and my computers totals always add up. Of course some people might have some problems, but its still a solid program.

jwil1
30-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I've run Tautology Bandwidth Meter and it has ALWAYS been accurate. My ISP's and my computers totals always add up. Of course some people might have some problems, but its still a solid program.

Yep, great program - but has it's limits.

I found it annoying because it 'counted' local network traffic as well as WAN usage (at least in my experience) - I glanced at it one day and it said 8GB (I had a 5GB plan) but checked TC's usage meter and it was NOT 8GB lol.

wainuitech
30-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Have a look at what programs are on the PC - for example do you have a P2P (file sharing) thats on and seeding, that could account for heavy upload traffic.

What you need to look at and find out, is which way is the usage being used heavily - Uploading or downloading. That may give some indication of where the usage is.

One way to check if someone stealing the wireless is to disable it for a day and see if the usage suddenly drops. Try changing the passwords as well.

i-gordon
31-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, My router does not record usage, but it will record dos attacks, port scans, web based connections and LAN connections.
So i have enabled logging so I can see if someone is leeching my wireless. I am going to do some further tests by isolating the computers as well as trying another router that has no wireless.
I will post again if I find anything of interest.
Ian

Erayd
31-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Probably not relevant here, but remember that TC cable also has a lot of background noise in the form of broadcast traffic... you won't be charged for it, but whatever machine has the public IP will still be receiving it all (and therefore counting it).