PDA

View Full Version : Whats with my whacky wireless?

Feelers
28-07-2008, 09:32 PM
I have a Belkin wireless USB, which seems to be giving me weird problems. Up until now I've had extensive problems, but now I've found the correct driver for vista.

My problem is I can connect to my neighbors wireless with no problems (which isn't password protected), but sometimes my flats' wireless just doesn't connect. The reason given either says action canceled(when I didnt cancel it), or for an "unknown reason". I know I have the correct password, because it works some of the time. Also this clearly isn't a signal problem either, it's always on 3 bars, and also when it doesn't work it reports back instantly (otherwise it would continue scanning for a while).

The wireless is a Dlink DI series, if there is any info you require I can find out. Noone else in my flat has this problem, its quite annoying! Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

SolMiester
29-07-2008, 08:46 AM
USB wireless network isnt the best solution, 1 is they only get 5v from the USB port, so they dont exactly have a lot of computing power for encrytion etc, which you have on your wireless LAN, hence why it can connect to the neighbours. I would try either WEP instead of WPA, or better yet, get a PCI expansion wireless card instead of the USB.

Graham L
29-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Should USB supply 10 kV to provide more computing power? :D USB WiFi adapters are fine.

My guess is that the neighbour's router is on the same channel as yours. The fact that you can connect to the neighbour's router with no problems indicates that you are getting a better signal from that one. Perhaps your room is closer to the neighbour than your flatmates.

Change the channel of your flat's router. (It might be best to make sure the other flatmates know first ;) ).

Ninjabear
29-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Could it be a Dlink problem?

Feelers
29-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Sweet I think changing the channel helped. I have technophobic flatmates, who unfortunately have the router in their room. Fortunately I can connect to the router without them knowing, so I changed things... :rolleyes:

Cheers