PDA

View Full Version : No Boot No Message?

B.M.
28-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Anyone any ideas on this one?

Computer starts POST.

Single Beep. (good I think)

H Foxconn Motherboard Splash Screen appears.

Press TAB to show POST screen, Del to enter Setup message at bottom of Splash screen and thatís it.

Thatís where she stays. Del & TAB keys do nothing. No further messages or beeps.

Whatís the next step? :confused: :thanks

bevy121
28-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd check the memory first - take all out but 1 and boot

if its the same take that one out and try one other.

(could be mobo - but check everything else first )

jwil1
29-07-2008, 07:46 AM
See if it posts with a different hard drive.

If it does try putting the original HD on cable select.

B.M.
29-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks Guys.

Ok tried it with no Memory and got Long Baaaaarps as opposed to short beep which I guess proved the Memory Test and initial part of POST. So, replaced both sticks of RAM in opposite locations and individually and the fault returned each time.

Swapped HDDís and that didnít help.

Only thing going for me at the moment is the fault is consistent as opposed to intermittent. :)

wratterus
29-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Unplug EVERYTHING that isn't required for the PC to start (All PCI cards, all drives, optical, hdds, floppys, any card readers, anything plugged into USB..)

Fire it up, and you should reasonably promptly get a "Disk Boot Failure - insert system disk and press enter" message.

If you don't, reset the BIOS and try again.

If there's no change, it's possibly a motherboard.

Otherwise it's one of the peripherals that's plugged into the PC, so you then plug everything back in, one at a time, each time making sure that PC is behaving normally before plugging in the next bit of hardware.

B.M.
29-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Done that Wratterus and no change. :crying

All we had was the PSU, CPU, RAM and Motherboard.

Because Iíve tried the RAM individually and collectively in every combination plus the POST code doesnít complain, I figure we can forgive the RAM.

The PSU Voltage is 11.72 & 5.07 and whilst the 12v is down a bit I donít think that would cause the problem.

This leaves us with the CPU and Motherboard I guess.

However, whilst pondering the problem I remembered that a couple of years ago whilst in Aussie Iíd bought a little Gizmo that you could plug into a PCI slot and it would tell you what was happening during the POST so I dug it out.

It tells me that we are stuck on Code 50 which is: Write all CMOS values back to RAM and clear - The Memory below 1m has been tested and initialised - Adjusting the displayed memory size for relocation and shadowing. Display CPU type and Speed.

Well, we never get the CPU type or Speed so I wonder?

Whatís the consensus of opinion? :help:

CYaBro
29-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Have you tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper on the mainboard?

wratterus
29-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Have you tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper on the mainboard?

X2.

B.M.
29-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Yep, no change. :crying

wratterus
29-07-2008, 10:52 AM
You haven't got another PSU you can try?

It does look like the motherboard. :(

B.M.
29-07-2008, 12:45 PM
You haven't got another PSU you can try?

It does look like the motherboard. :(

Yep, I'll swap them whilst trying not to freeze to death.

(Global Warming, Yeah Right, mumble mumble mumble). :rolleyes: