PDA

View Full Version : installing XP - doesnt "see" HDD's (RAID0)

bjocque
28-07-2008, 01:51 PM
:dogeye: Hi yawl, was upgrading nero 6 to version 8, got into a restart loop (just horrible) then CD Drives (y & z) dissappeared from within windows and restarting the PC just ended up with the Wallpaper and thats it, no icon's/taskbar etc - tried ending explorer.exe through taskmanager and restarting it, but that didnt achieve anything

Thought bugger it, time for a clean install anyhows and all my data is stored elsewhere (server pc - W2K) - Thought will format drives as part of xp install - when it came to which partition to install xp onto - xp didnt reckonise any of my drives (unknown drive...) - have since determine that it was the card reader drives it was seeing - disconnected that and now xp install doesnt see any drives at all.....................

I have 2x 74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0 that has been running great for 2 years - have run the WD Data Lifeguard Tools and Diagnostic programs with no errors appearing, using my old WIN98 FDD boot disk have run fdisk and format (all sweet, no errors) - This is after creating a new array (RAID0) - am using PROMISE RAID setup disk when windows install calls for it (F6 at start of install)................ hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

now i am getting stumped?........... any suggestions??? hints??? directions where to head? what to do? whats gone wrong??

cheers in advance, HELP!!! lol :help: :badpc:

SolMiester
28-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Okay, when XP was released, not all RAID controllers were known to the driver cab within the CD, therefore, when using new hardware such as SATA\SATA2, RAID controllers etc, it is sometimes required, that when the CD boots, you have to load extra drivers so XP can see your RAID partition.....

Press F6 as you say, it will ask for floppy disk with the controller drivers, all good!

bjocque
28-07-2008, 02:10 PM
yup done that and xp still doesnt "see the drive/s" - i will try sourcing a new "RAID Drive Disk" and try that again, - i was wondering if it was something like a MBR problem or partition table issue on the hard drive itself??????? dunno? might try clagging one of the hard drives into this pc and see if it recognises it????? hmmmm but w2k on this pc??? not sure...............

SolMiester
28-07-2008, 02:19 PM
You created a partition via the controller?

bjocque
28-07-2008, 02:24 PM
yup

just had a flash of sh*t to my brain - would having formated the Array using the WIN98 boot disk have formated the array as FAT???? and not NFTS???

wratterus
28-07-2008, 02:29 PM
yup

just had a flash of sh*t to my brain - would having formated the Array using the WIN98 boot disk have formated the array as FAT???? and not NFTS???

Yes it would have, but it wouldn't change XP's Setup's ability to read it. XP works fine on FAT32. Until you try and render a movie that is. :lol: ;)

SolMiester
28-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Not sure if XP sees Fat16, I know it sees Fat32.....!

I would boot using the XP CD, when you get to Promise controller, use Ctrl + A to enter controller BIOS, delete and re-create RAID array, dont format, continue on a boot via CD....you dont need a win98 boot floopy!

bjocque
29-07-2008, 08:51 AM
hmmm retried those steps, = the same problem, windows xp setup doesnt see the array.

does the fact that the fastrack bios allow me to create the raid suggest that the actual hdd's are working? western digital diagnostic tools see the raid as '1' disk (cool???) is there a way for me to check the validity/integrity/mbr of these 2 drives/array???? or that i do have correct bios settings?

to me the fact that i can create a raid array would suggest all seems fine on that score?

hmmmmmm, am still stumped........

did drop in my old seagate 17gb hdd and installed xp on that last night, all seems fine, well it runs but doesnt seem to recognise the array within the windows environment

SolMiester
29-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Did XP ask you for the drivers after you pushed F6?, did you insert floppy with correct drivers?....struggling to understand why XP cant see the array?

Creating array from BIOS in correct procedure and you advised logical drive seen in fasttrak BIOS, so everything sound fine.....????

bjocque
29-07-2008, 09:04 AM
yup, selected "WinXP Promise SATA378(tm) Contoller" driver

obviously not for the 17gb install

SolMiester
29-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Cant see any known issue on their web site, in fact I cant even see your product, does it have another code name, ie: TX2 TX4= etc.....SATA378 not listed!

bjocque
29-07-2008, 09:03 PM
TX2plus v1.00.0.33 when promise controller is switched to IDE but when in RAID configuration just shows Fastrak 372(TM) Bios Version 1.00.0.37

played around with VIA controller too, both allowed an array to be created etc - windows only recognises 1 of my hdd's when trying to install on a single drive through any of the 4 sata ports on my mobo (asus a8v deluxe (2 ports per controller) so am wondering if its a hdd issue? but the wd diagnostic disk and both sata controllers recognise both hd's - weird!!!!

would it be cos disks have been set up for graeter than 137gb support? (WIn Xp SP1) thru the wd software??? (grasping ar straws here ) or a duffed (read as buggared) hdd?

SolMiester
29-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I think SP1 is good for >137GB, how big is the partition?, you could create 1 x 100Gb and DATA = Bal, if that works, you have your answer!

Billy T
30-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes it would have, but it wouldn't change XP's Setup's ability to read it. XP works fine on FAT32. Until you try and render a movie that is. :lol: ;)

I'm just getting ready to specify a new PC and I'll be using XP Pro as my OS. I am curious as to the "movie rendering" issue because one reason for update is to give me the processor speed for converting old video tapes to DVD. I don't even know what movie rendering is, but it sounds like it is heavy duty stuff.

My current PCs are W98 and W2K and date back to those product releases so there's a tale here that I'll tell someday.

So, what's the problem with FAT 32 vs NTFS?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

bjocque
04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
hmmmm dunno what was causing my problem, changed over to the VIA sata controller and all gone sweet, a little tango with installing xp onto a 17gb ide drive i have lying around then when i initial lised the fiorst 70gb raptor as a boot disk it copied over the xp installation so i just went with it, all seems good so far,

cheers heaps sol for being a great sounding board, cher cher appreciate it heaps