PDA

View Full Version : Office Internet

Taurus
28-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm hoping someone out there can advise me on this. My office internet is extremely slow. Cos of that, it always show timeout. I also have problem logging to office from home but no problem surfing the net at home.

We are with ICONZ (max speed up and down) for many years. It's only the last month that things started playing out. ICONZ said there was nothing wrong at their end and so does Telecoms. Speed test were fine at times showing high speed but most of the time we can't even access the speed test web site. We are using Checkpoint Safe@Office 500. There were no new programs installed in the server.

Does anyone know where else could the problem be?

:mad:

Jams
28-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty sure i have seen a Tui billboard with the line "Nothing wrong here: Telecom" on it.

Honestly, don't believe ANY ISP when they say "nothing wrong at our end". Keep bugging them and bugging them and bugging them. It works.

Taurus
28-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure i have seen a Tui billboard with the line "Nothing wrong here: Telecom" on it.

Honestly, don't believe ANY ISP when they say "nothing wrong at our end". Keep bugging them and bugging them and bugging them. It works.

I've been doing that but futile. They claim to have gotten Telecoms to check the line but there was nothing wrong.

I have reset the router many times. Each time after reset, things will be fine for 1-2 hours than it slows down again. My boss and colleagues are complaining like crazy. Even our IT contractor couldn't find any fault internally. It just got so depressing.

nofam
28-07-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd suggest you put some traffic-monitoring software in place to see if a particular PC is sucking up all your bandwidth - Adobe Updater is often a problem, as it cal pull down 100MB updates on multiple PC's quite regularly.

There may be a PC with a Virus etc too.

Taurus
28-07-2008, 01:43 PM
I'd suggest you put some traffic-monitoring software in place to see if a particular PC is sucking up all your bandwidth - Adobe Updater is often a problem, as it cal pull down 100MB updates on multiple PC's quite regularly.

There may be a PC with a Virus etc too.

Thanks nofam. Can you recommend some traffic monitoring software? I had actually disabled all the Adobe Updater. I will have a second look. Thanks.

SolMiester
28-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Reboot your router!

Taurus
28-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Reboot your router!

Have done that. About 2-3 times daily.

SolMiester
28-07-2008, 06:15 PM
is this a WAN or LAN, spam e-mail getting caught?, could be influx etc, how many users?
What are the ADSL readings on the connection page showing?
edit - anyone streaming?
skype?
exchange server, check mailbox's, size etc
staff personal pop access?

Taurus
28-07-2008, 07:52 PM
is this a WAN or LAN, spam e-mail getting caught?, could be influx etc, how many users?
What are the ADSL readings on the connection page showing?
edit - anyone streaming?
skype?
exchange server, check mailbox's, size etc
staff personal pop access?

I reach the office in the morning at 0730 hours. I can't even access the internet as it was so slow. There is no one else in the office. Then I reboot the router. Then again at 10am. and maybe another reboot at 2-3pm. One of the staff surfs the net a lot. But today she is on medical leave. Still the system is slow.

SolMiester
28-07-2008, 08:35 PM
You will need to login to the router and check settings, do you have a dedicated line for the router, no plugged a phone\fax alarm in recently?

What does the status page of the router show?

beeswax34
28-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Are there any QOS or bandwidth throttling rules in place?