PDA

View Full Version : BIOS ROM Checksum error

hdu4ia
28-07-2008, 02:21 AM
Hi folks...I too, am sorry for bringing up this thread, but I've been trying to fix this problem off and on for a couple of years just because I can't unhinge my teeth from it! I have the exact same message pattern as the initial poster, except that mine won't reboot at all until I use a floppy disk and re-flash the BIOS. Then it boots. The machine will run for days/weeks until it gets powered off for whatever reason; then the problem starts over. I've changed every component I can, and over the last couple of years I've loaded different version of O/S, Win, Linux, Sol. During one of my test runs I received a message in the BIOS that I should reload the default values because it had detected an improper CPU speed. The jumpers are now back to original factory settings. My conclusion is that it is the chip, which is welded to the M/B, and ASUS/Award just had a faulty batch of programming...

Jen
28-07-2008, 07:03 AM
I've moved your post into a new thread where you are more likely to receive help than in the original very old thread.

For reference, this is the message hdu4ia refers to in their post:

I get a buzzing noise then this appears onscreen

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
BIOS ROM Checksum error
Detecting Floppy drive A media
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Almost seems like the BIOS has forgotten where the hard drive is.
If the system is left off for over an hour, no whining noise & it boots ok, but sometimes says CPU is not detected properly but it boots & goes ok.
I've replaced the battery, & done all the usual.

Any ideas
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Whats the model of the motherboard?

I've had a few ASUS mobos too, that kept on saying that message

Is the latest version of the BIOS, been flashed?

Agent_24
28-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
BIOS ROM Checksum error
Detecting Floppy drive A media
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

This message means that there is a problem with the BIOS code, and has been forced to use the bootblock recovery procedure. This is not usually bad (because bootblock is there for a reason, to help you fix this problem) but if it keeps happening all the time (even after you re-flash) it could indicate a problem with the EEPROM or programming circuitry, or otherwise the board.

It could also be a software (re: flasher program) problem not writing the chip properly.

What is the model & revision of your board, and what program & version are you using to flash with? Have you tried flashing again after the machine boots successfully? (ie: not using the bootblock recovery flash procedure)

onwa
24-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I SAW THIS IN GOOGLE. I WILL TRY IT TONITE.

Error Message:
BIOS ROM checksum error—System Halted, Insert Disk
Translation:
This occurs when you have corrupted your computing system’s BIOS image somehow, like with a failed flash attempt, for example. Shorting the jumper on your motherboard for clearing CMOS (complementary metal-oxide semiconductor) may or may not get you back up and running. However, depending on your particular BIOS version and its capability, you should be able to restore a clean BIOS image through the following flash method.

Solution:
Assuming you have access to another machine to work with, create a bootable floppy disk, either DOS-based or Windows-based. Copy the BIOS flash loader utility for your BIOS type (usually either Award or AMI) onto the disk, as well as the latest version of your motherboard’s BIOS. Most likely you can find both the latest BIOS file and the flash utility on your motherboard manufacturer’s Web site. If your machine is actually prompting you to “insert disk and strike any key,” then you’re almost done. The flash utility will automatically load and flash the BIOS or prompt you to enter the BIOS file name to flash. Make sure you jot down the exact name of the BIOS file in case you need it for this process.

For AMI BIOS types and other versions of Award’s flash utility, you can follow the same syntax convention but obviously you need to replace the AWDFLASH command with the proper flash utility command that is specific to your motherboard BIOS. Upon power up, with this floppy disk in your drive, the AUTOEXEC.BAT file should load the flash utility and BIOS file for reprogramming your BIOS chip. If your machine does not boot to your floppy drive, disconnect all other hard drives and optical drives in the system and then power down and power up the system again. Follow the on-screen instructions, and once the process is complete, you should be able to boot your machine normally.

A checksum value is generated by the CMOS and is saved for error checking on subsequent boot-ups. This error message will appear if the checksum is different from one boot-up to the next. The BIOS has auto loaded a basic default configuration so that your motherboard boots properly. The good news is, typically entering your BIOS menu, checking your settings, adjusting them if need be, and resaving before exit will clear up the error. This error may also have been caused by a weak battery. Check the CMOS battery (it looks like a small disk-style watch battery on your motherboard) and replace it, if necessary. You may also have to clear CMOS by shorting jumper pins on your motherboard, as well, to remedy the problem.

Penetrator
25-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Its most likely your motherboard battery has gone flat.
You can buy them from many supermarkets