PDA

View Full Version : Vista drops internet connection

jwil1
27-07-2008, 03:40 PM
My Vista PC is having problems.

After about 3-5 hours of being on, it just drops the Internet connection. It retains it's IP address (according to ipconfig) and the network icon in the taskbar goes to one with a yellow exclamation mark (limited connectivity).

A reboot always fixes it.

This does not occur on my XP install (same physical machine - I have tried it for about 3 hours and it was fine). The other PCs on my network can access each other and the Internet, just not my Vista machine.

Vista Home Premium SP1, patched completely, avast AV etc.

I have updated the NIC drivers.

Specs below.

Any thoughts??

gary67
27-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I think from memory its a power saving function that I can't now find but I know it used to happen to us on XP until I fixed it

jwil1
27-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Gary - turned off "allow Windows to turn this device off to save power" in the network centre, but no avail yet.

Also, after the drop, it crashes upon shutdown. It sits at the "shutting down" screen.

Any other ideas guys??

wainuitech
27-07-2008, 10:24 PM
By any chance do you have any torrent / P2P programs on the PC ?

The reason for asking is I have been reading that they can turn off the connection and cause the problems you describe.

Found several people same problems Suggestions that worked for some :

Have a look at This article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430) turn off Auto tuning

And disable IPv6 in the network setting.

jwil1
27-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I downloaded a torrent about 1 month ago, but have not even started uTorrent since then.

The problem started about a week ago.

jwil1
29-07-2008, 07:25 PM
*bump*

The problem has (touch wood) stopped for the time being, but the icon in my taskbar showing network activity is now showing "limited connectivity", but I can access all my network resources and the Internet.

See this screenie (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/jwil1-badicon+tests.png) for all the tests I have done, that show that I have full access - but Vista says I don't

:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Where did 192.168.2.1 come from?? For the gateway??

Is this for a router?? If it is, is it a valid IP for the router?

And is the IPv4 IP a valid IP?

jwil1
29-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Yup, my router's IP is 192.168.2.1.

Yes, Yes, yes. :)

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 07:33 PM
And 192.168.2.1 is the default IP address for the router then?

jwil1
29-07-2008, 07:35 PM
yes it is.

Also if it helps a VM I have running Vista shows the icon like the sample one in my screening.

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Hmm is SP1 on it?

Whats the brand/model of the router??

It may need a firmware update?

jwil1
29-07-2008, 07:46 PM
It's running Vista Home premium with SP1 integrated.

It's a Belkin Wireless G router.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=136493#

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 08:02 PM
How many computers, are on this network??

And is this computer with Vista the one thats connected to the router (so you can login to it)?

This is what I had to do, (I found it on a site a few hrs ago), to get into the Vista PC wirelessly here.

I created a folder, and shared it as below

You have to set permissions for a folder first.
Otherwise, you won't be able to share it with "Everyone"!

Right click on the folder name.
Select Properties/Sharing/Advanced Sharing.
Click the checkbox "Share this folder".
Click on Permissions.
Click on Allow Full Control, Change or Read.
Click on Apply, then OK.
You will be returned to the Advanced Sharing panel.
Click on Apply, OK.
You will be returned to the Sharing panel.

Now, click on Share…
Click on Change sharing permissions.
The list of users will now include "Everyone".
In the drop down list at the top of the dialogue box, choose Everyone (All users in this list)
Click on Share.
Once the setting has been made, click on Done.

The above also saved me trying to figure what the username / password was (or creating one on this), so I could log into the shared folder, I created in Vista

And instead of creating a shortcut on the desktop (in XP for it), I mapped the shared folder in XP, (for the shared folder in Vista), so it appears in my computer instead. So, when you open my computer in XP, Vista's shared folder appears as a network drive.

And it reconnects everytime you boot into XP

jwil1
29-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks Speedy, but I have already set up several shares on my other machines (connecting to my Vista machine) and they work fine :)

Update: I have had the PC on for 4 1/2 hours and it hasn't dropped the connection yet... hope it's fixed!! Icon in taskbar still show limited connection through.

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 09:46 PM
What I posted is for Vista, not XP.

I had that same prob here (Vista could go into the shared folders on these XP PC's, but not the other way round). Neither XP PC here could access the shared folder in Vista.

Till I did what I posted. Now, all PC's can access each others shared folder.

And the Vista PC can now also print to the printer on this PC wirelessly.

jwil1
29-07-2008, 09:50 PM
That's not my prob lol.

See my first post :)

I KNOW it's something to do with the network setup of my Vista machine, given that when it drops the connection I can still access the net using the other PCs on my network.

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Ah I thought you meant the other PC's couldnt access Vista's shared folder

jwil1
29-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Ah I thought you meant the other PC's couldnt access Vista's shared folder

Yeah, that's right, but everything is fine until the connection is dropped, which tells me that it's something to do with the network config in that machine individually that makes it drop the connection and not any outside factor, given that when the connection is dropped the connection is still up on my other PCs.
:)

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Hmm.

Could / Would it be the power management tab (where it says allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option), its usually ticked by default, untick it), under the LAN in device manager??

This could be the reason WHY youre disconnecting from the net, and when that happens, it'll also affect the shared folder.

This may happen if youre not using it for a period of time.

It may also happen if youre using a screensaver, and it comes on

jwil1
29-07-2008, 10:17 PM
From memory, it dropped it when I was in the middle of browsing, so AFAIK it isn't caused by a timeout.

Just about to update drivers... done.

Edit: The option was already unticked. But surprisingly the whole pc locked up when I clicked OK - I didn't even change any settings!

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 10:21 PM
You didnt get / install the LAN drivers from the Windowsupdate site did you??

If you did thats probably why, theyre screwed.

jwil1
29-07-2008, 10:22 PM
NO WAY. Asus.com.

I have never installed any drivers from WU.

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2008, 10:53 PM
This sound like your prob ? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168)

It says to install a service pack, but didnt the SP come out in March 2008??

Do the versions of the files here match whats on yours??

I dont think youre using ICS, but it sounds similar to your prob

Click on the link on the top

jwil1
30-07-2008, 09:51 AM
ICS was and still is disabled.

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I would request the hotfix anyway, it may fix it

jwil1
30-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Tried to get the hotfix - downloaded and extracted - extracted file was corrupt, so downloaded again - no change.

But...

Had it on for 13 hours straight today - had Internet all the time. So (touch wood) the problem is fixed!

:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Cool, good to hear !