PDA

View Full Version : Kerio Personal Firewall-Free Version

smurf
27-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I have been using this for sometime now together with Avast Anti Virus. Whilst I have experienced no problems with with either programme, I was wondering if there were any significant advantages with the paid version of the programme. Reviewing the information on the website it refers to the free version only blocking incoming traffic but not outgoing......is this important? Can someone give me a stance on this please?

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2008, 11:15 AM
It would be similar to XP's firewall. It only blocks incoming not outgoing traffic.

Altho, I dont know if SP3 changed that.

But if it doesnt support blocking outgoing traffic

If you had a trojan for example, there would be no way of stopping it, so it would communicate with a hacker for example.

And the firewall wouldnt ask you if you want to allow, or deny it, since it doesnt support it.

Jester
27-07-2008, 02:21 PM
The free Kerio I use blocks outgoing too (TCP and UDP)... although I think my Kerio is an older version, aren't they called Sunbelt or something now?

paulw
27-07-2008, 07:59 PM
The free Kerio I use blocks outgoing too (TCP and UDP)... although I think my Kerio is an older version, aren't they called Sunbelt or something now?

I have the paid version and the only difference appears to be that the paid blocks certain forms of web advertizing..Like at the top of this page.. Everything else is the same.

smurf
28-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your replies guys. I think I will stick with the free version in the meantime :)

Smurf